• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is she entitled to after this divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JontelBrisco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI

We have been married for 13 months and I want to separate from her. We are both in the military. We were in the military when we met also. I got married one month before I left for deployment. She has a 9yr old son. I'm NOT the biological father. The biological father doesn't pay child support and currently he is 10,000 behind in child support.

The only items that we have in our name is One Vehicle and one credit card.
I have question on what she is entitled to?

1. Will I owe her alimony or child support?

2. Will there be any other entitlements that I have to pay?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI

We have been married for 13 months and I want to separate from her. We are both in the military. We were in the military when we met also. I got married one month before I left for deployment. She has a 9yr old son. I'm NOT the biological father. The biological father doesn't pay child support and currently he is 10,000 behind in child support.

The only items that we have in our name is One Vehicle and one credit card.
I have question on what she is entitled to?

1. Will I owe her alimony or child support?

2. Will there be any other entitlements that I have to pay?
She would be entitled to 1/2 of any assets that accrued during the marriage and responsible for 1/2 of any debts that accrued during the marriage.

If the car is paid for, whoever keeps the car needs to give the other one 1/2 of the value (or possibly exchange it for 1/2 of the debt on the credit card).

If the car is not paid for, then whoever keeps the car, keeps the car payment as well.

No, you won't owe her any alimony or child support if you do not have a mutual child. You may be responsible for providing some support until the divorce is final however. It depends on your respective pay grades and your BAS/BAH.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">