• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What state do I start the process?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HolyCow

What is the name of your state? Arizona soon to be Oregon, he is in NC.

My husband of 9 years took a job in North Carolina leaving me with his 2 teenagers to finish school here in Arizona. I recently found out that he found a new "friend" and has been dating her and even put her on our cell phone account.

The children have lived here with me for the 4 months but he is now bringing the 16 year old out to live with him and the 18 year old is moving out to stay with a church family.

I am planning to move back to my home state of Oregon. My husband isn't paying the rent or utilities and won't send me any money. He makes 5 times the amount that I do per month when Im working full time.
Do I start here in Arizona or wait till I get back to Oregon in a month to start the divorce?

What are the chances that I could get spousal support from him? Married 9 years, left my career to raise his 3 kids and he is cheating on me. He makes an average of 120.000 per year but last year only made around 100 grand. I make 1800 per month working full time.

We had a house foreclosed on, 2 cars repossesed and they were all in my name. His credit cards are getting paid but I am forced to file bankruptcy.

mistoffolees

You need to file in AZ.

You could wait until you've established residency in OR, but that state wouldn't have any jurisdiction over him. If there are no assets to split and no custody issues, it might not matter, though.

HolyCow

You need to file in AZ.

You could wait until you've established residency in OR, but that state wouldn't have any jurisdiction over him. If there are no assets to split and no custody issues, it might not matter, though.
Thank you very kindly. I was just wondering some more though.... When I move to Oregon will I have to keep coming back here or can you have it transfered there? Does it make any difference if we were married in Oregon?

mistoffolees

Thank you very kindly. I was just wondering some more though.... When I move to Oregon will I have to keep coming back here or can you have it transfered there? Does it make any difference if we were married in Oregon?
If you were married on OR, then you might be able to file there, after all. I think that gives the state jurisdiction over him.

It is typically difficult to have a case transferred and probably not worth the trouble. Either file it in AZ (in which case it's easier and probably less expensive to have a local attorney to do all the paperwork so you don't have to keep going back and forth) or wait until you have residency there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">