• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the next step?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

overwhelmed47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Ohio, my soon to be ex wife lives in Florida.

My ex filed for divorce in January, and I have since paid close to 10K for an attorney with no results. My ex had her boyfriend pose as me and obtain my W-2s which she used to file my taxes and receive $7K, which she used to pay for her lawyer. We have gone to court 4 times to determine child support but she has lied every time regarding her employment or lack thereof, so the judge sent us home and ordered a deposition. We are both out of money, so the deposition could not occur, and now nothing is happening b/c neither of us can pay our lawyers. The IRS is demanding the $7K back from me, she does not let me talk to nor see my two children, and she is doing her best to completely ruin my credit. She is driving the car that is in both of our names, and not paying for it, so I'm in collections over my head. Since I am completely broke and my credit is ruined, is there anything I can do?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Ohio, my soon to be ex wife lives in Florida.

My ex filed for divorce in January, and I have since paid close to 10K for an attorney with no results. My ex had her boyfriend pose as me and obtain my W-2s which she used to file my taxes and receive $7K, which she used to pay for her lawyer. We have gone to court 4 times to determine child support but she has lied every time regarding her employment or lack thereof, so the judge sent us home and ordered a deposition. We are both out of money, so the deposition could not occur, and now nothing is happening b/c neither of us can pay our lawyers. The IRS is demanding the $7K back from me, she does not let me talk to nor see my two children, and she is doing her best to completely ruin my credit. She is driving the car that is in both of our names, and not paying for it, so I'm in collections over my head. Since I am completely broke and my credit is ruined, is there anything I can do?
to be honest, you may have to start reading and studying the law on your own.

you are going to need to prove that the ex filed those taxes fraudulantly,

overwhelmed47

she admitted in court to filing them, and was ordered to give me half back, being that it would be a marital asset. however i tried to file my own taxes, as i didn't know she already had, and now the IRS thinks i tried to file twice, which is why they are coming after me.

the situation goes much deeper, and unfortunately there are 2 small children involved. my ex dropped their free insurance to try and get me to pay, but i don't make enough to do so. she takes both kdis to the ER weekly claiming they are sick in order to incur bills and sends them to me. things are just getting out of hand, and a simple situation has gone on too long. we don't own a house, any money, any assets except a car that we are in debt over our heads on, that's it. can a judge just put his foot down and order something to get it over with?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Did the JUDGE order that you receive half? If so, file for contempt on the issue.

What about the car? Who was ordered to make the car payments?

overwhelmed47

yes, the judge ordered i receive half.

i'm the primary on the car, she is the co-signer. she has had posession of the car since we separated just over a year ago (out of state). she has been making payments in order to keep it, but now she is behind and i can't afford it, but they won't repossess it because she has made payments in the past. the judge hasn't ordered anything regarding equitable distribution because he is trying to set a child support number first, however she keeps lying about her income so he sends us back to mediation. she wants max child support, NO visitation, and to keep the car for herself, but i pay for it.

Isis1

yes, the judge ordered i receive half.

i'm the primary on the car, she is the co-signer. she has had posession of the car since we separated just over a year ago (out of state). she has been making payments in order to keep it, but now she is behind and i can't afford it, but they won't repossess it because she has made payments in the past. the judge hasn't ordered anything regarding equitable distribution because he is trying to set a child support number first, however she keeps lying about her income so he sends us back to mediation. she wants max child support, NO visitation, and to keep the car for herself, but i pay for it.
file for contempt on the tax issue.

say NO!! on the max child support and NO on her stupid visitation plan! absolutely NOT!! :mad:

the car.....she wants to keep it, she needs to pay for it. request that she be ordered to refinance the darn thing by a certain deadline or she has to return it to you.

overwhelmed47

i can't afford a lawyer presently (i paid one about $10K already to go to mediation 50 times). Can i file contempt and a deadline on the car directly with the court? i made an offer to pay off all debt (medical bills for the kids, our joint credit cards we used to have, and breaking our old lease, a total of about $5K) and let her keep the car if she takes my name out of it. she refused. i just want it over and done with, as we have been going through this for almost a year and she has been keeping the kids from me for the past year.

Isis1

i can't afford a lawyer presently (i paid one about $10K already to go to mediation 50 times). Can i file contempt and a deadline on the car directly with the court? i made an offer to pay off all debt (medical bills for the kids, our joint credit cards we used to have, and breaking our old lease, a total of about $5K) and let her keep the car if she takes my name out of it. she refused. i just want it over and done with, as we have been going through this for almost a year and she has been keeping the kids from me for the past year.
have you request a temp visitation order? that should have been done long ago.

yes, you can file the contempt yourself.

however, wait for other answers. i'm almost sure the attorney would have to be sunned out before you file any documentation with the court.

and since you were ordered to depose.....it might be a bit trickier.

overwhelmed47

in terms of visitation, when i am in state, i have had to call my attorney (when i had one) and request she send a visitation proposal to my ex's lawyer. he then responds saying i can see both children for a total of 4 hours during my stay in state, regardless of how long (typically under a week at a time). i requested more, but my lawyer has done nothing.

LdiJ

Why is the IRS demanding the 7k back from you? How could her boyfriend have posed as you to obtain your W2s?

overwhelmed47

i worked in a restaurant with my ex, and she called them saying this guy would be picking up both hers and mine, and they released them. i have lived out of state for over a year now and the manager was new, so he didn't realize what was going on.

in the IRS' eyes, i filed twice. doesn't make sense to me at all because they can track exactly where the money went and it never even entered the state i live in.

mistoffolees

i worked in a restaurant with my ex, and she called them saying this guy would be picking up both hers and mine, and they released them. i have lived out of state for over a year now and the manager was new, so he didn't realize what was going on.

in the IRS' eyes, i filed twice. doesn't make sense to me at all because they can track exactly where the money went and it never even entered the state i live in.
Start by filing a police report for identity theft, forgery, and theft of tax refund money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">