• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is an agreement binding & effective?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skigrl27

What is the name of your state? CT

My court date was today (10/2) for my divorce. I submitted a Case Mgmt. Agreement since I've moved to another state (CO) and so my presence in court was not necessary. However, I have an agreement & stipulation for Judgment which states the details of my ex buying me out of my rights to the house. 1 payment of $11,000 and another in 6 months for $5,000 more.

Today's judgment was prolonged until 11/6 since my ex needs to file more paperwork that he did not have prepared. The agreement states that my initial $11k payment was to be made within 30 days of the Agreement and is fully binding and effective regardless of the judgment of Dissolution of Marriage.

My ex and his lawyer are stating that no monies are to be paid until AFTER the 11/6 court date and not until the dissolution of marriage has been finalized. This would be WAY after teh 30 day period of the agreement. The agreement was signed & notarized by both parties on 9/6/07.

My question - does the Stipulation regarding payment of the house monies need to be approved by the court before it is binding...or is the agreement binding after both parties sign it?

Help!:confused:

seniorjudge

Q: My question - does the Stipulation regarding payment of the house monies need to be approved by the court before it is binding?

A: Judgments in lawsuits (and the settlements thereof) must be approved by the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">