• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can I change the locks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Wife moved out in Nov., divorce was final on Feb. 4th, house is still in both our names until my new mortgage is approved(30 to 60 days). I was told while we were separated I couldn't change the locks but what about now that we are divorced? She has been in the house twice this week while no one was home, I have asked her to stay out but she always has trouble with boundries. She isn't taking anything that I see and claims to just be picking up her mail and playing with the dog. This issue wasn't adressed in our divorce decree, except I was given six months to buy her out.

Thanks

This was a dissolution and we did all the paper work ourselves after each meeting with two attorney's. It is written in the decree I would be keeping the house. The issue of her access to the house after everything was final just never came up, I just assumed she would stay out, silly me. It's nothing I would go back to court over unless she started removing things, I just don't like her there looking around.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Tricky, tricky:

1. you aren't married anymore, so it's not technically the marital home
2. she left, so it's not like you are locking her out

3. I take it she is still an "owner."

Well ... you could change the locks. When she protests, tell her you will trade keys - keys to her place for keys for yours. See what she has to say. Have a USPS moving form ready for her to fill out so that gets rid of the "mail" excuse. Agree to forward any of her mail that does come to her new address.

Worse case, she gets a copy of the new keys.

TinkerBelleLuvr

PS - you need a quit claim deed (or whatever that is called) that releases her claim to the property in order to refinance - do you have it yet?

LdiJ

This was a dissolution and we did all the paper work ourselves after each meeting with two attorney's. It is written in the decree I would be keeping the house. The issue of her access to the house after everything was final just never came up, I just assumed she would stay out, silly me. It's nothing I would go back to court over unless she started removing things, I just don't like her there looking around.
If the divorce decree states that you are keeping the house, and the divorce is final, then you can change the locks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">