• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When courts recognize seperation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kazzie

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

My sister in laws husband left her & their 2 kids the last week of Aug. Nothing has been done legally yet. A couple weeks ago she changed the locks on the house to keep him from going in when she's not at home.

My question is: When does the court legally recognize someone as being seperated? Does it have to be done legally (filing paperwork) or if both agree they are seperated the court will accept this?

Supposely my sister in law has talked to a lawyer, but what she says doesn't sound right-basically she'll get everything & he has no right to anything. (I think that's her rational).

From what I read, how I understand it that until legal papers are filed, she has no right to lock him out or forbid him from taking anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">