• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I begin?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostinohio6606

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I currently live in the state of Ohio. My husband left me in August, and I have not seen him since. I would like to start the process of getting a divorce or dissolution, but I am curious about how it will work since I 1) have very little money to work with and 2) my husband is currently living in Louisiana, also with no money, and no means to get to Ohio for a court hearing. I understand there are filing fees involved but I'd really not like to get a lawyer involved as I have very little money since he left with all of our savings (and proceeded to spend it all).

We have no children, no property, no debt, no money involved.

Thank you..

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I currently live in the state of Ohio. My husband left me in August, and I have not seen him since. I would like to start the process of getting a divorce or dissolution, but I am curious about how it will work since I 1) have very little money to work with and 2) my husband is currently living in Louisiana, also with no money, and no means to get to Ohio for a court hearing. I understand there are filing fees involved but I'd really not like to get a lawyer involved as I have very little money since he left with all of our savings (and proceeded to spend it all).

We have no children, no property, no debt, no money involved.

Thank you..
There appears to be nothing for you to fight over, therefore it should be a fairly easy divorce.

Your local courthouse likely has available a packet of paperwork for filing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Depending what county you are located in you could probably find the forms online. Most have them there. You would need to read the local rules as well. If he cannot get court in Ohio you would have to file a DIVORCE (not a dissolution even if you agree upon everything) and be prepared to bring a witness or two.

lostinohio6606

Thank you for the response. I am located in Cuyahoga.

I have been looking into online divorce "kits". It seems as though they just come with forms (filled out) that are readily available at Home - Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court. It is my understanding that I can just print and fill out and file the Complaint For Divorce form (http://domestic.cuyahogacounty.us/pdf_domestic/en-US/Forms/ComplaintDivorce.pdf) and have them service my husband in Louisiana by mail, he answers (or doesn't) then I wait for the court to contact me via mail for my court hearing?

Am I crazy or is it that easy with no kids/property/debt? If so.. I'm doing this myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">