• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I file for divorce? CO or LA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frazzled

What is the name of your state? LA

Ok here is my question.
My husband and I and our children just recently moved to Louisiana about a month ago from Colorado. We want to file for divorce but are not sure where to file. Do we file in Colorado or Louisiana? What is the residential requirements as far as filing for divorce in Louisiana?

-frazzled-:confused:

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? LA

Ok here is my question.
My husband and I and our children just recently moved to Louisiana about a month ago from Colorado. We want to file for divorce but are not sure where to file. Do we file in Colorado or Louisiana? What is the residential requirements as far as filing for divorce in Louisiana?

-frazzled-:confused:
You definitely have not lived in LA long enough to have established legal residency, therefore you cannot file there. Do you both intend to remain in LA? If so, it might be easier in the long run to wait out the necessary time to become legal residents, so that you can file there.

In most states it takes six months to become a legal resident. In a handful it can take as much as a year. Consult a local attorney to be certain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">