• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I go from here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyboynm

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My ex-wife and I owed money to the IRS. In the divorce decree, she agreed to pay X amount. She never paid it and the IRS took my tax refunds until they were paid in full. My ex-wife refuses to pay me back the money she owes. What choices do I have to get this money back? She also stipulated in the divorce decree that I get our names removed off accounts that we held jointly and I had to pay close to a $2000 cell phone bill that she owed, whereas my part was current(I paid her monthly for my part of the service via check with the note section saying exactly what the payment was for) to be able to get my number ported to my own account.

Any suggestions?

Just Blue

My ex-wife and I owed money to the IRS. In the divorce decree, she agreed to pay X amount. She never paid it and the IRS took my tax refunds until they were paid in full. My ex-wife refuses to pay me back the money she owes. What choices do I have to get this money back? She also stipulated in the divorce decree that I get our names removed off accounts that we held jointly and I had to pay close to a $2000 cell phone bill that she owed, whereas my part was current(I paid her monthly for my part of the service via check with the note section saying exactly what the payment was for) to be able to get my number ported to my own account.

Any suggestions?
Your ex violated the court order so you will need to file contempt.

LdiJ

Any suggestions?
As someone else already stated, your only option is to file for contempt of court against her. The IRS and the cell phone company acted properly when they went after you for the money, so your only option is the try to get a judgement against her. Whether or not that will do you any good depends upon whether or not she has the actual means to pay, or assets that you can get a lien against.

Don't spend alot of money on an attorney unless you know that she has the means to pay or assets that can be liened against. Otherwise, learn how to represent yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">