• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to file a divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmoore1231

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I used to live in NY for the past 10 years. I got married in UK and moved to PA where my husband used to live. I lived in PA for 8 months of my marriage and the marriage did not work out and have moved back to New York since the past two months. What state will i need to file a divorce? Can I file it in New York or am I required to file it in PA? Also, if my husband asks me to sign divorce papers from UK, do I HAVE to sign them if I do not wish to do so? Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I used to live in NY for the past 10 years. I got married in UK and moved to PA where my husband used to live. I lived in PA for 8 months of my marriage and the marriage did not work out and have moved back to New York since the past two months. What state will i need to file a divorce? Can I file it in New York or am I required to file it in PA? Also, if my husband asks me to sign divorce papers from UK, do I HAVE to sign them if I do not wish to do so? Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Where is your husband currently living?

seniorjudge

He is currently living in PA and I am the one asking for the divorce.
If both you and your husband are living in America, why would he file for divorce in the UK? :confused:

I know nothing about the kind of lawsuit you are asking about in Pennsylvania or New York.

BUT I do know that y'all would be better off if you could agree on the venue.

mmoore1231

The only reason i thought he would bring divorce papers from the UK because he is a citizen in the UK and we legally got married there.

LdiJ

The only reason i thought he would bring divorce papers from the UK because he is a citizen in the UK and we legally got married there.
You have to get divorced where you live, not where you got married.

You would need to file in PA at this point in time. You won't have legal residence in NY for at least 4 more months.

Also, unless you have "grounds" you have to be legally separated in NY for a full year before you can divorce, so PA is probably the better place to file, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">