• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

where to file for divorce when residing overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sam61

We are legal residents of the Dominican Republic for the past 3 years. We are citizens of the US.

Previously residents of GA. My wife has property jointly with her sister in FL. My wife inherited a large sum of money after we were married and we have used it as collateral for real estate investments. We have a FL mailing address. Where would I file for divorce? Is the inherited money "separate" property? Married for 19 yrs.

LdiJ

We are legal residents of the Dominican Republic for the past 3 years. We are citizens of the US.

Previously residents of GA. My wife has property jointly with her sister in FL. My wife inherited a large sum of money after we were married and we have used it as collateral for real estate investments. We have a FL mailing address. Where would I file for divorce? Is the inherited money "separate" property? Married for 19 yrs.
Yes, the inherited money is separate property. You are legal residents of the Dominican Republic therefore that is where you must divorce unless one of you moves back to the US and re-establishes residency there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">