• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ffoltyn

I live in Florida and was wondering if 2 people who have lived together for 10 years. The couple bought a condo and she cheated on him. He told her to leave and she did. When she did he changed the locks of the home. She is not wanting to get back in the home with the boyfriend she cheating with. She wants the old boyfriend to be on one side of the home and she/him be on the other side. He doesn't want to sell the condo and she does. He was willing to pay her but she doesn't want it. Deed is in both names. Both owners of the home are in the united states illegally and purchased the home based on the 30% downpayment that foreigners could do to buy property in the United States. The do have Social Security #'s.

What could be done to solve this issue. Does it have to be sold and the proceeds split?

I appreciate any help possible with this matter. Thank you for this great service.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Nothing in your post is relevent to the issues presented except for this.

Deed is in both names.
If they can't come to an agreement, then one or the other party needs to file a PARTITION suit for sale of the asset.

ffoltyn

BelizeBreeze said:
Nothing in your post is relevent to the issues presented except for this.

If they can't come to an agreement, then one or the other party needs to file a PARTITION suit for sale of the asset.
So only way is to really sell the property? Could she do something to him to force him out of the home or have her current boyfriend move in? Any Florida Statues that support one side or the other? I tried to look and couldn't find anything.

Again appreciate the help

HomeGuru

ffoltyn said:
So only way is to really sell the property? Could she do something to him to force him out of the home or have her current boyfriend move in? Any Florida Statues that support one side or the other? I tried to look and couldn't find anything.

Again appreciate the help

**A: look, stay out of it. This does not involve you ok.

ffoltyn

HomeGuru said:
**A: look, stay out of it. This does not involve you ok.
I can't stay out of it..I want to help the situation. Again is the only way to solve this is to sell it?

Thank you again for all the help you guys provide and sorry for the double post. I didn't know that same people look at different forums.

Appreciate the help and again please let me know that sale is the only way out?

ffoltyn

Again help is requested

Regarding the Partition which would be the sale of the home and then the profits would be split in half.

This is the only other legal option there is? Is there anything on the deed that might make the one person be able to get the other off or say something to do with the mortgage? If one is on it and the other is off.

Thanks again for the help. I want to forward the message on to the person today.

HomeGuru

ffoltyn said:
Regarding the Partition which would be the sale of the home and then the profits would be split in half.

This is the only other legal option there is? Is there anything on the deed that might make the one person be able to get the other off or say something to do with the mortgage? If one is on it and the other is off.

Thanks again for the help. I want to forward the message on to the person today.

**A: ok, here is an out. If the tenancy were joint tenancy and one of the owners gets hit by a car and dies.

LdiJ

ffoltyn said:
I live in Florida and was wondering if 2 people who have lived together for 10 years. The couple bought a condo and she cheated on him. He told her to leave and she did. When she did he changed the locks of the home. She is not wanting to get back in the home with the boyfriend she cheating with. She wants the old boyfriend to be on one side of the home and she/him be on the other side. He doesn't want to sell the condo and she does. He was willing to pay her but she doesn't want it. Deed is in both names. Both owners of the home are in the united states illegally and purchased the home based on the 30% downpayment that foreigners could do to buy property in the United States. The do have Social Security #'s.

What could be done to solve this issue. Does it have to be sold and the proceeds split?

I appreciate any help possible with this matter. Thank you for this great service.
Well...he broke the law when he changed the locks. He can't keep someone out of their own property. If they both have social security numbers (assuming they are valid ones) then neither of them are in the country illegally. Illegal aliens don't get social security numbers.

This is obviously going to end up in court to resolve the issue...the sooner that happens the better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">