• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who gets the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tfaust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

My divorce decree states under husbands debt,
4. The following debts, charges, liabilities, and obligations:
-Purchase of property, ADDRESS, from EXWIFE.
This house is to be purchased in an as is condition for PRICE no later than DATE. Rent on the property will be set at PRICE a month until the property is purchased from her.

yet under the wife's property is says

2. A house or piece of land:
It is ordered and decreed that EXWIFE is awarded the following property as her sole and separate property, and ME conveys to EXWIFE all of his interest in such property, and ME is divested of all right, title, interest and claim in and to that property:
ADDRESS

this seems to be contradicting itself. which section takes precedence from the wording it sounds as if the husband has no obligation to purchase this home. can someone please give me a bit of insight on this.
Thanks

mistoffolees

As I read it, it seems that as of the divorce date, the entire property is the wife's property. However, husband is to buy it from the wife at some future date as specified in the agreement.

It's a strange setup, but I don't think it's contradicting itself. It may be that there was some question as to who owns it at the present time and the court wanted to clarify that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">