• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the items?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maramarshall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

I hope this is in the correct topic-
My dad just married someone I believe to be a golddigger. They argue constantly and he just bought a new car pretty much for her. I am 19, and have my own problems with her as she does with me. If they get divorced/ my dad passes away, is she entitled to everything he owns even if he has a will stating (for example: the business will go to my children). He has his own business that was started way before she was around and I am scared for what will happen to it.

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

I hope this is in the correct topic-
My dad just married someone I believe to be a golddigger. They argue constantly and he just bought a new car pretty much for her. I am 19, and have my own problems with her as she does with me. If they get divorced/ my dad passes away, is she entitled to everything he owns even if he has a will stating (for example: the business will go to my children). He has his own business that was started way before she was around and I am scared for what will happen to it.
I'm guessing they argue constantly over things like you and how you can't mind your own business. Your father is a grown man. He doesn't need his 19 year old son sticking his nose into his new marriage.

M

Maramarshall

I came on here for advice, not to be treated like an idiot. My dad actually shows me the texts and used to tell me all the things that she said about me on a daily basis + bashing my other siblings. So, if you actually saw the physical text messages and stuff she has said to my face then you would understand. I am a girl, not a guy.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I came on here for advice, not to be treated like an idiot. My dad actually shows me the texts and used to tell me all the things that she said about me on a daily basis + bashing my other siblings. So, if you actually saw the physical text messages and stuff she has said to my face then you would understand. I am a girl, not a guy.
It's STILL none of your business, young missy.

Good heavens.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sounds like Dad thrives on the drama. Why else would he involve his daughter in his marriage?

In any event, leave Dad's legal matters to him. He's old enough to go speak with a lawyer regarding distribution of his assets, etc. 'Cause, honestly? You come off as a bit of a gold-digger yourself...

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Sounds like Dad thrives on the drama. Why else would he involve his daughter in his marriage?

In any event, leave Dad's legal matters to him. He's old enough to go speak with a lawyer regarding distribution of his assets, etc. 'Cause, honestly? You come off as a bit of a gold-digger yourself...
I love when you say what everyone else is really thinking.

LegalEZ

You Don't Understand Marriage

Hey Sweetie.

Some of the advice you're getting here may sound a little harsh, but it's true. At 19, you have zero understanding of marriage. First of all, it is WRONG of your dad to show you texts between him and his wife. That could easily be considered a severe betrayal should they split up. I can't possibly understand his motive for doing so, unless you give him a hard time about his new wife and he's trying to develop some kind of secret alliance or camaraderie with you in order to pacify you. Or, maybe, since the divorce, your mom was withholding when it came to his right to parent you, or threatening, and so he's trying to establish some kind of "friendship" of equals with his own kid. Whatever his reason, he's an incredibly insecure and immature man to bring his 19-year-old daughter into his marriage...that dynamic is seriously effed-up and is likely going to end up costing him his marriage in addition to damaging you.

Secondly, most women work now and bring in their own income. It is likely that they bought the car and are making payments together rather than your dad "buying it for her." Plus, with the divorce and custody laws in our country being as punitive as they are, many divorced dads pay exorbitant child support, leaving the second earner in the household to contribute more than her fair share to their joint household bills. If your stepmom contributes to the household then, yes, she is entitled to her share of the growth. Of course, I don't know the particulars of your dad and stepmom's finances...but, then again, neither do you. And they may not be what you think. Legally, a marriage is a partnership of equals, and both members of the partnership own the property together. A marriage is not a dependent relationship, as you seem to think it is. I.E. Your stepmom is your dad's equal, not yours. You say she hasn't contributed to the business...well, neither have you. And I am willing to bet any amount of money that she's contributed more to the business, the household, and your dad's bottom line than you have.

Finally, parents aren't required to leave their children anything, and many don't, choosing instead to leave money to charity. However, most parents do want to leave what they can to their kids, and your dad is probably no exception. I assume that he and your stepmom have wills that leave the partner a share and kids a share, or leave the partner everything with money in trust for the kids after both are gone. Still, it's their business, not yours.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

Hey Sweetie.

Some of the advice you're getting here may sound a little harsh, but it's true. At 19, you have zero understanding of marriage. First of all, it is WRONG of your dad to show you texts between him and his wife. That could easily be considered a severe betrayal should they split up. I can't possibly understand his motive for doing so, unless you give him a hard time about his new wife and he's trying to develop some kind of secret alliance or camaraderie with you in order to pacify you. Or, maybe, since the divorce, your mom was withholding when it came to his right to parent you, or threatening, and so he's trying to establish some kind of "friendship" of equals with his own kid. Whatever his reason, he's an incredibly insecure and immature man to bring his 19-year-old daughter into his marriage...that dynamic is seriously effed-up and is likely going to end up costing him his marriage in addition to damaging you.

Secondly, most women work now and bring in their own income. It is likely that they bought the car and are making payments together rather than your dad "buying it for her." Plus, with the divorce and custody laws in our country being as punitive as they are, many divorced dads pay exorbitant child support, leaving the second earner in the household to contribute more than her fair share to their joint household bills. If your stepmom contributes to the household then, yes, she is entitled to her share of the growth. Of course, I don't know the particulars of your dad and stepmom's finances...but, then again, neither do you. And they may not be what you think. Legally, a marriage is a partnership of equals, and both members of the partnership own the property together. A marriage is not a dependent relationship, as you seem to think it is. I.E. Your stepmom is your dad's equal, not yours. You say she hasn't contributed to the business...well, neither have you. And I am willing to bet any amount of money that she's contributed more to the business, the household, and your dad's bottom line than you have.

Finally, parents aren't required to leave their children anything, and many don't, choosing instead to leave money to charity. However, most parents do want to leave what they can to their kids, and your dad is probably no exception. I assume that he and your stepmom have wills that leave the partner a share and kids a share, or leave the partner everything with money in trust for the kids after both are gone. Still, it's their business, not yours.
Very much like. Sadly, no LIKE button to properly express my likedness.

LegalEZ

One Point I left Out

Very much like. Sadly, no LIKE button to properly express my likedness.
I forgot to add - when kids of divorced dads get their collective heart rate up and start clutching their pearls about what dad might leave to their horrid stepmother, I am ALWAYS tempted to remind them that their mom most likely already got half or more of his assets in the divorce, plus years of tax-free child support. None of them ever think about that or keep that in mind when worrying their little heads over dad's inheritance...they kind of already got half of it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">