• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the proceeds of engagement party gifts when couple splits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michvent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi - My fiance and I just broke up. We had an engagement party a couple of months ago. The cost of the party was $15k. He paid for his guests ($12k) and I paid for mine ($3k - I had a lot less guests). We recieved some gifts along with $13k in cash and checks, now in a joint checking account. He says I have no right to the money because he took a loss. What is my legal right to this money? Thank you.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi - My fiance and I just broke up. We had an engagement party a couple of months ago. The cost of the party was $15k. He paid for his guests ($12k) and I paid for mine ($3k - I had a lot less guests). We recieved some gifts along with $13k in cash and checks, now in a joint checking account. He says I have no right to the money because he took a loss. What is my legal right to this money? Thank you.
Neither one of you are entitled to the money or the gifts. It all should be returned.

proud_parent

Neither one of you are entitled to the money or the gifts. It all should be returned.
Agreed.

[rant]
Seriously -- $15K for an engagement party? :eek: Our wedding didn't cost that much, including the "honeymoon". (And yes, hubby and I paid for it all ourselves.)
[/rant]

nextwife

AGREED!

You absolutly should return the gifts. I'm appalled that you'd consider keeping them if you cancelled the engagment. It is absolutely WRONG to keep them under the circumstances.

Last edited:
Touche!!! I quess 15K for an engagement party is all relative for some folks...at least they didn't rent out the Queen Mary for a Bar Mitzvah (yes it's true)! Either way..it's good to see the youth of our society are working hard at being just as conspicuous as their parents. Now... anyone want to guess how much the engagement ring cost...and what happened to it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Touche!!! I quess 15K for an engagement party is all relative for some folks...at least they didn't rent out the Queen Mary for a Bar Mitzvah (yes it's true)! Either way..it's good to see the youth of our society are working hard at being just as conspicuous as their parents. Now... anyone want to guess how much the engagement ring cost...and what happened to it?
Not that I disagree with you...

But there's no evidence that this couple is youthful ;)

proud_parent

Now... anyone want to guess how much the engagement ring cost...and what happened to it?
No, thanks...I'll pass. :rolleyes:

But while we're all piling on the OP and her hitherto bethrothed for their shameful breach of etiquette, allow me to point out this:
He says I have no right to the money because he took a loss.
They threw a party for friends and family to celebrate their impending union and had the cheek to expect some kind of return on investment? :mad:

Seems this former couple (youthful or not) need to learn a thing or two not only about manners, but also about financial planning. Joint checking account with someone to whom one is not legally married? Bad idea.

Just Blue

No, thanks...I'll pass. :rolleyes:

But while we're all piling on the OP and her hitherto bethrothed for their shameful breach of etiquette, allow me to point out this:

They threw a party for friends and family to celebrate their impending union and had the cheek to expect some kind of return on investment? :mad:

Seems this former couple (youthful or not) need to learn a thing or two not only about manners, but also about financial planning. Joint checking account with someone to whom one is not legally married? Bad idea.
OP is perhaps too high to consider etiquette or financial planning.;)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=400650

penelope10

The gifts and cash need to be given back. They were given in consideration that a marriage would take place.

LOL, just wondering how much of the "cash" has already been spent.

mmmagique

I'm shocked you would even consider keeping it. If someone gave you a book on manners, keep that. Give the other stuff back, it does not belong to either of you.

On second thought, maybe you should get married to him. He seems to have the same boorish manners as you.

~Christina

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">