• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the wedding ring in an annulment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

felidaex9

What is the name of your state? California.
I'm currently going through an annulment after having been married for only six months. I've been informed by my attorney that it would be very difficult to obtain a court order requiring my wife to return the $5,000 wedding ring to me ( there is no engagement ring). Since an annulment voids the marriage which therefore means that there never was a marriage, I don't understand why it should be difficult to get the ring returned to me. Is my attorney giving me good advice or should I pursue the matter? What would you suggest that I do?

H

hexeliebe

Because the marriage did take place. Just because it is 'erased' in the eyes of the law doesn't mean it never happened.

A ring is given in anticipation of an event, the event took place (albeit a short time) ergo no return of the ring.

Imagine you signed a contract (marriage) for a concert by the Stones. You paid them $1,000,000 to appear (the ring) and they did show up but blew a fuse in the concert hall and could only perform for 30 minutes.

Would you be entited to the money you paid them back? No. would you be entitled to carry insurance and have the insurance pay? Yes.

Marriage doesn't come with insurance. Sorry, but this one is easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">