• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns the car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prospert

I live in the state of Louisiana. I co-signed and is listed as the primary for an automobile loan for my spouse. Do I have the right to ownership of this vehicle? How can I make sure that if my spouse does not pay the loan I will not be liable for the debt. My spouse is not willing to turn the vehicle over to me and is not willing to trade the autombile in for one under his name. I want to know how can I get my name removed from the auto loan.

D

dorenephilpot

In order to end your obligation to the lender, the car must either be sold or refinanced. Period. It's that simple.

If your ex is not willing or able to do either of those, then you ask the divorce court to ORDER it to be refinanced within a specific period of time and that if the ex fails to do that, then the court orders the car to be sold.

If your ex doesn't do that, then you have a route to make the ex comply -- contempt -- to get him to comply.

Hope this helps!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">