• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who pays for what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wenbee

What is the name of your state? new york

After our first conference hearing, it has been determined that I have to pay for all expenses related to house appraisal and any types of repairs, plus my soon-to-be-ex's attorney fees. I did not agree to this and refuse to pay all of these costs. She is the one who abandoned the family and filed for divorce due to her getting caught cheating. Can the courts force me to pay for these things. BTW, she has not lived in the house for over 2 years and all courts we have been in have refused to force her to pay any part of the mortgage or taxes for the house.
One last thing, my ex has filed with the courts numerous statements containing lies about what occurred between us, in response to my affidavit for the reason of divorce. My attorney says there is no reason to respond to the allegations. Does this hurt my case by not responding to false accusations?

Bali Hai

After our first conference hearing, it has been determined that I have to pay for all expenses related to house appraisal and any types of repairs, plus my soon-to-be-ex's attorney fees. I did not agree to this and refuse to pay all of these costs. She is the one who abandoned the family and filed for divorce due to her getting caught cheating. Can the courts force me to pay for these things.

Yes the court can do this.

BTW, she has not lived in the house for over 2 years and all courts we have been in have refused to force her to pay any part of the mortgage or taxes for the house.
One last thing, my ex has filed with the courts numerous statements containing lies about what occurred between us, in response to my affidavit for the reason of divorce. My attorney says there is no reason to respond to the allegations. Does this hurt my case by not responding to false accusations?
The judge in that NY kangaroo court will listen to all the crap from her that she is able to muster up. One peep out of you and the gavel gets shoved where the sun don't shine.

LdiJ

After our first conference hearing, it has been determined that I have to pay for all expenses related to house appraisal and any types of repairs, plus my soon-to-be-ex's attorney fees. I did not agree to this and refuse to pay all of these costs. She is the one who abandoned the family and filed for divorce due to her getting caught cheating. Can the courts force me to pay for these things. BTW, she has not lived in the house for over 2 years and all courts we have been in have refused to force her to pay any part of the mortgage or taxes for the house.
The bottom line is that you have been ordered to pay those costs, therefore you have no choice but to do so.

Unless you are getting a "fault" divorce, then you should listen to your attorney regarding whether or not you need to respond to her allegations.

wenbee

Unless you are getting a "fault" divorce, then you should listen to your attorney regarding whether or not you need to respond to her allegations

What exactly is a "fault" divorce. I was told that NEW YORK only had "no fault" divorces?

Bali Hai

Unless you are getting a "fault" divorce, then you should listen to your attorney regarding whether or not you need to respond to her allegations

What exactly is a "fault" divorce. I was told that NEW YORK only had "no fault" divorces?
That is incorrect. NYS is one of the few states without true no-fault divorces. The closest you will get is a non-contested divorce by signing a separation agreement and waiting a year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">