• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who should file for divorce or dissolution?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brendasue3rd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. I found out on Saturday that my husband is having an affair. He has gone and will be moving into an apartment with her soon. I told him that if he thinks I am going to make it easy for him to get out of this marriage, he was wrong. Would it be in my best interest to let him file? He has nothing. I own the house.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One of the two parties to the marriage should file.

I have a question for you: Why do you want to KEEP this loser?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. I found out on Saturday that my husband is having an affair. He has gone and will be moving into an apartment with her soon. I told him that if he thinks I am going to make it easy for him to get out of this marriage, he was wrong. Would it be in my best interest to let him file? He has nothing. I own the house.
It doesn't matter who files.

You should probably talk with an attorney. There are couple of likely misconceptions in your post:

1. You can't stop him from getting a divorce. The most you can do is make it more time consuming and expensive - but that will cost you every bit as much as it costs him.

2. While your name may be on the home title, he will probably be entitled to a portion of the marital equity (the increase in equity while you were married.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

TWO threads... same wording...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">