• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife changed locks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

After filing for divorce and to avoid the potential of physical altercations, I moved myself and a few belongings out of the house. I left about 3 weeks ago.

The mortgage ad all utilities are in my name, I purchased the home shortly before we wed.

I need to get a few more things out of the house, especially some clothing and items I will need for work this spring. The wife had refused to cooperate and, without my permission, changed the locks to the house. She said to work it out through the lawyers, except I will need these items before the court would hear my case.

Can I legally force entry into the home to retrieve these items that are clearly not joint property?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

After filing for divorce and to avoid the potential of physical altercations, I moved myself and a few belongings out of the house. I left about 3 weeks ago.

The mortgage ad all utilities are in my name, I purchased the home shortly before we wed.

I need to get a few more things out of the house, especially some clothing and items I will need for work this spring. The wife had refused to cooperate and, without my permission, changed the locks to the house. She said to work it out through the lawyers, except I will need these items before the court would hear my case.

Can I legally force entry into the home to retrieve these items that are clearly not joint property?
Yes, you can unless their is a restraining order in place or temporary orders regarding the house.

The house belongs to both of you and you have equal rights. However, I would encourage you to use a locksmith rather than break in for several reasons.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, you can unless their is a restraining order in place or temporary orders regarding the house.

The house belongs to both of you and you have equal rights. However, I would encourage you to use a locksmith rather than break in for several reasons.
WRONG. The house belongs to him but she has a marital interest in the home.

mistoffolees

WRONG. The house belongs to him but she has a marital interest in the home.
OK. I missed that part.

In any event, it doesn't matter as far as THIS question is concerned. He still has the right to enter the house as long as there's no restraining order or temporary order saying otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">