• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife charges me with theft of commingled marriage property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

distressedhubby

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was married in India in Dec 2003, our marriage presents were commingled and put in a safe deposit locker in India. We are now both residents of New Jersey and have been seperated since Feb 2004 (3 months after marriage). She has now filed for divorce and has also filed for theft of her marriage property. She already did this a couple of times before and the police told her that the property has to be distributed as part of the divorce proceedings. She yet filed for the third time in the court and I have a hearing in a few days. Can someone guide please? She is also overstating the value of the property 5 times.

LdiJ

distressedhubby said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was married in India in Dec 2003, our marriage presents were commingled and put in a safe deposit locker in India. We are now both residents of New Jersey and have been seperated since Feb 2004 (3 months after marriage). She has now filed for divorce and has also filed for theft of her marriage property. She already did this a couple of times before and the police told her that the property has to be distributed as part of the divorce proceedings. She yet filed for the third time in the court and I have a hearing in a few days. Can someone guide please? She is also overstating the value of the property 5 times.

Your marriage was very short. Wouldn't it be more sensible to simply divide the marriage presents based on whose family provided those presents...or based on what the family prefers?

distressedhubby

Thanks for your reply. I have the same view. In any case the presents were not very valuable. Knowing very well that it was a short marriage, my wife wants alimony, 50% of performance bonus (thats my total savings till date). I have also intimated the police through my attorney that I do have possession of her things in India and I shall be glad to bring them here in front of a court who can then give her her share. But she wants to be difficult and keep filing complaint after complaint. She has also stolen my bank statements, tried to get my individual bank statements using my personal information. This is her fourth complaint (in municipal court) after the police refused to act on her first three complaints.

Thanks for your reply again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">