• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife filed for divorce, left with almost everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrbriant

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Is it legal for her to leave (yes when I was hospitalized) and pretty much clean out the house? She claims since she has been paying the bills the last few months she can take it.
Thanks!

mrbriant

Clarification

what I meant was for example she took the 60" TV, Fridge, and Washer & Dryer (worth over $10,000) among plenty of other items. I had no say so in what she took.

nextwife

Anything purchased during the marriage is a marital asset. Document what she took, and ask in figuring the property settlement that they be counted against her share. Who was working, when, is irrelevant.

LdiJ

Anything purchased during the marriage is a marital asset. Document what she took, and ask in figuring the property settlement that they be counted against her share. Who was working, when, is irrelevant.
I agree, but don't try to document them at retail value, because that's improper. You would value them at resale value if they are paid off. Also, what she did wasn't illegal...it just needs to be accounted for in the property settlement.

If the items in question weren't paid off, then its only the equity value that counts, because whoever gets possession has to pay them off.

In other words, if your 60 inch TV cost 5k, and there is still 4k outstanding, then all she got was resale value minus 4k.

Last edited:

LdiJ

what if I wanted some of the stuff she took?
You might be able to get a judge to order that something be turned over to you, but realistically its the value of the item that matters in a divorce....also, anything that you got that was not paid off, would then become your responsibility to pay off.

There can be exceptions to that...but those generally apply to very personal items or family heirloom type things.

Cars are different...generally a court is going to make sure that each of you end up with one of the family cars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">