• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife had my boat, sold it, I bought it back now she's trying to sue me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkl42259

What is the name of your state? TN
When my divorce was final my wife got both of our boats. One of them was an old bass boat bought in the 80's by my now deceased father. When he died he willed the boat to me because every weekend we were out on the lake fishing in it. It was OUR boat my dad used to say and we had so many memories in it. When she got the boat I cried. Even in front of her. It was the only posession I cared about. I tried to get her to take our home...a huge beautiful home but she wanted that boat! She doesn't even know how to fish. And when she picked it up she said "you know I never noticed it had a motor..I thought it was a row boat!" She was very girly and never did anything outside. A week later it was on the market. In the newspaper. It was for sale for 500.00. I tried to buy it back but the answer was no. Someone did buy it. I snooped around and found out who it was. I went to their house and told these strangers who I was and why I wanted to buy the boat back from them. They were an old couple in their fifties. The man felt so bad for me. He had already put a new motor in it and threw the old one away. I paid them 5000.00 for it. They made a huge profit. My wife drove by and saw the boat back in my yard and says now she is going to sue me for stalking. Apparently she says that the only reason I found out who bought the boat was that I was stalking her. I did hire a private investigator to find out who bought it and she knows because I told her. But is that really something I can be sued for?

nextwife

She's obviously poorly informed about boats. One certainly need not physically see a boat to track it's ownership, if transferred legally.

You can be sued for anything, but any marine surveyor can testify that boat histories can be obtained from available records. If she sues you, use your PI report and ask for attorney fees!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">