• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife house and stepchildren

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xtremecrx

What is the name of your state? Suffolk County, New York

I would like some advice. I might be getting a divorce but I am not sure what will happen. I dont have anychildren. My wife has 3 children from a previous marriage. they have been living with us for about 5 years. She gets $70 per week for child support FOR 3 KIDS! I make about 75-100K per year and she makes 35K per year. She is already starting with the little digs under her breath like "If we get a divorce everything is mine" or "you'll have to pay child support" This is getting me Very nervous, so i would like to be prepared since this would be my first divorce and i am not too keen on divorce laws.
1- The house and car were bought after we were married, what happens to them. we were marriedfor about a year and the house/car we bought about 6-8 months ago
2-Do I really have to pay child support for children that arent mine? Her Ex pays her cash, no receipts.
3-If she gets the house and car would i be able to get my belongining?
4-Would it look bad if i took on a job making 6.50 an hour to lessen alimony payments or would the courts frown upon that? obviously not tell them that! :)
5-What are some other ways to prepare myself for this divorce if it were to happen Before and After it happens?

djohnson

You do not pay child support on children that aren't yours. Depending on the length you have been together (your post was confusing )alimony might be something she can get. She may not be able to show how she can keep paying to keep everything. You may have to sell the house depending on the equity in it and how much the two of you fight over everything. Even if you let her have it and you are on the mortgage despite what the divorce decree says you can still be held responsible for the payments. You should probably go get a good divorce attorney. Decide what you want and don't want. See if she is willing to talk to you and both come to a good compromise if not tell her you are willing to fight it out in court which will be costly for both of you but it sounds like you may be able to afford it more than she at this point. She can't expect to get everything when they aren't your kids. She may just be trying to scare you or she may be that unintelligent. I don't know. Good luck.;)

VeronicaGia

Don't quit your job, as she could ask the court to impute income to you based on what you were making.

This sounds like a short term marriage. If she demands alimony, try to object to it but if you have no choice, make sure your attorney knows you will only pay for the length of time the marriage lasted prior to legal separation. In other words, if you and she were married two years, and you cannot get out of alimony, make sure you only pay for two years.

Does she work? If so, argue she shouldn't get alimony. If not, why not? Is she incapable of working?

You will not have to pay support for children that are not yours. Make sure if she even tries it you demand DNA testing. Also, if you can get copies of the birth certificates of the kids, that will help prove you are not the father.
A great website for men: www.deltabravo.net Get an attorney who specializes in family law and who has teeth, who fights for men.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">