• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife just filed for divorce - need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cf21255

What is the name of your state? NY
My wife, who has been out of the home for 5 months after just leaving one day without a word, taking the 2 cars with her along with other household items,t has served me with divorce papers for the first grounds listed in the state of NY (I will not cite it here, as I find it painful to believe that she would do so). Suffice to say, she has made certain claims of alleged threats made to her that are not true, and for which she has no proof.
In addition, she has taken all of the money that we had in various accounts in excess of $200,000, left me with debts that I had thought were taken care of (she was in charge of the finances...I trusted her) and left me with nothing. I had even gone so far as to keep up payments for her on our supplemental medical insurance because I didn't want to leave her without it. I am now struggling. I need to know what rights I have. Unfortunately, I am living on my social security alone and don't have money to hire a lawyer.

Bali Hai

cf21255 said:
What is the name of your state? NY
My wife, who has been out of the home for 5 months after just leaving one day without a word, taking the 2 cars with her along with other household items,t has served me with divorce papers for the first grounds listed in the state of NY (I will not cite it here, as I find it painful to believe that she would do so).

The grounds are meaningless, so don't take it personally.

Suffice to say, she has made certain claims of alleged threats made to her that are not true, and for which she has no proof.
In addition, she has taken all of the money that we had in various accounts in excess of $200,000, left me with debts that I had thought were taken care of (she was in charge of the finances...I trusted her) and left me with nothing. I had even gone so far as to keep up payments for her on our supplemental medical insurance because I didn't want to leave her without it. I am now struggling. I need to know what rights I have. Unfortunately, I am living on my social security alone and don't have money to hire a lawyer.

You are going to need a lawyer if you want to come out the other end of this with your shirt. Get creative and get one ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">