• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife left husband and took dogs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marketlegend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Okay so my wife of 10+ years walked out on me and took our 3 dogs. She has gone back to ohio to live with her parents and will not give me a any of the dogs. Her parents have 2 dogs themselves. I would like at least two the dogs back so figuring i am going to have to get the courts involved. I was the party that rescued them as they were al being mistreated by their former owners. Can someone please tell me what court system i would use.
Thanks
Adam

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dogs. Are property. S you will have to offset their "value" (which will be minimal) with other property of equal value.

Eekamouse

Just go rescue a couple of more dogs. Why fight over the ones she took? There are plenty of dogs in shelters desperate for a loving owner.

marketlegend

Just go rescue a couple of more dogs. Why fight over the ones she took? There are plenty of dogs in shelters desperate for a loving owner.
I am asking for legal advice so please only respond if you have worthwile legal advice.

I'm not seeking to replace the dogs they are like my children and are great companions.

Proserpina

You've already received advice.

The court doesn't care who loves the dogs the most; the dogs are property.

If they were service animals, that changes things. But you haven't said that.

quincy

I am asking for legal advice so please only respond if you have worthwile legal advice.

I'm not seeking to replace the dogs they are like my children and are great companions.
So, I guess you decided not to click on the link I provided that gives you the laws on dogs and divorce?

My advice to you is to click on the link and do some reading. The link again is http://www.animallaw.info/articles/dduspetcustodyindivorce.htm.

You should learn from reading the information on that site what you will need in order to prove your ownership of the dogs. You can learn how to (potentially) get a court to order the return of the dogs to you.

You can also find case law (potentially) applicable to you if/when a divorce is filed (and for whatever state it is that handles the divorce). You can see what might happen if the dogs become part of a custody dispute. You might even discover the answer to realfilm's question (clue: it's been done).

You have been given the law, options, resources and advice. Is there anything else we can do, like retrieve the dogs for you or something? ;)

quincy

That's ridiculous. Really.
Although it is reasonable to think that it is ridiculous, support for pets (called "petimony" by some attorneys) is being worked into divorce agreements, and providing support for a dog was actually ordered by a court in one divorce case (see Dickson v Dickson, No 94-1072, Ark. Garland County Ch. Ct, Oct 14, 1994). The amount ordered was $150 a month for the dog's continued care and maintenance.

Animal law is a growing field of law, with courses and concentrations of study now offered in several law schools. Efforts have been underway for several years to change the laws that have always considered pets property to laws that reflect the growing importance in our lives of companion animals. Some courts have considered "best interests" and "shared custody" and "visitation schedules" when dividing the "living" property of couples divorcing.

Bali Hai

Although it is reasonable to think that it is ridiculous, support for pets (called "petimony" by some attorneys) is being worked into divorce agreements, and providing support for a dog was actually ordered by a court in one divorce case (see Dickson v Dickson, No 94-1072, Ark. Garland County Ch. Ct, Oct 14, 1994). The amount ordered was $150 a month for the dog's continued care and maintenance.

Animal law is a growing field of law, with courses and concentrations of study now offered in several law schools. Efforts have been underway for several years to change the laws that have always considered pets property to laws that reflect the growing importance in our lives of companion animals. Some courts have considered "best interests" and "shared custody" and "visitation schedules" when dividing the "living" property of couples divorcing.
Animals given the same status as humans in the judicial system? Just another example of a perverse society. WTF does this crap come from!?

quincy

Animals given the same status as humans in the judicial system? Just another example of a perverse society. WTF does this crap come from!?
You can click on the link provided to see where the crap is coming from. And I guess you can feel lucky you were not responsible for paying pet support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">