• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife left personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeyb4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State
MY wife moved out of my house over 2 months ago and is using me as her personal storage facility, I have asked her on numerous times to please get her personal property out of my house. My question is this, what is the procedure to make her get her stuff out of my house, do I have to sent her a cetified letter with x amount of days to remove it or it will be disposed of or am I on the hook for this free storage until shes gets around to getting it out. Any insight would be appreciated

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
MY wife moved out of my house over 2 months ago and is using me as her personal storage facility, I have asked her on numerous times to please get her personal property out of my house. My question is this, what is the procedure to make her get her stuff out of my house, do I have to sent her a cetified letter with x amount of days to remove it or it will be disposed of or am I on the hook for this free storage until shes gets around to getting it out. Any insight would be appreciated
File for a divorce. YOUR house is still her house without a court order stating otherwise.

LdiJ

As long as you are married, its the marital residence, and she has every right to store her stuff there. If you want her stuff out, you need to file for divorce or legal separation and you need a court order that you have sole use of the marital home. At that point you will be in a position to require her to remove her belongings.

mikeyb4

As long as you are married, its the marital residence, and she has every right to store her stuff there. If you want her stuff out, you need to file for divorce or legal separation and you need a court order that you have sole use of the marital home. At that point you will be in a position to require her to remove her belongings.
The house was mine before we were married so it's just in my name, it was never put in her name so does that change the legalities?

LdiJ

The house was mine before we were married so it's just in my name, it was never put in her name so does that change the legalities?
Nope, its still the marital residence. As long as you are married, its her home too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">