• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife ran off.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yuvchg

What is the name of your state? TX.

My wife ran off 3 weeks ago.
She hasn't been communicate me the all time and didn't respond to any of my emails, calls, mails...
Yesterday she send me an email to come and get my stuff from coffee shop nearby, when I got there today she show me my son and her father came with her, after 15 min, the clerk came and gave my a protective order and a divorce citation. the date is 10 days from now...
Her parents got her the best lawyer in Houston area and they take care of her 100%%%.
I read the papers and see very bad things about me...

The Q's are:

1. What if I would leave the country right now?
2.What if I haven't got served and I would have leaved the country?
3.I'm a new immigrant, can I just give up on my residency and forget about the all thing?
4.How can I get it postponed as far as it's possible?
5.I don't have much money, How can I got a free attorney?

Thank You very much.

las365

Is Starbucks serving citations along with coffee these days? They really are innovative.

You need a lawyer. It doesn't sound as is you are thinking very clearly. There are many, many divorce attorneys in Houston and I'm sure you can find one you can afford.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? TX.

My wife ran off 3 weeks ago.
She hasn't been communicate me the all time and didn't respond to any of my emails, calls, mails...
Yesterday she send me an email to come and get my stuff from coffee shop nearby, when I got there today she show me my son and her father came with her, after 15 min, the clerk came and gave my a protective order and a divorce citation. the date is 10 days from now...
Her parents got her the best lawyer in Houston area and they take care of her 100%%%.
I read the papers and see very bad things about me...

The Q's are:

1. What if I would leave the country right now?
2.What if I haven't got served and I would have leaved the country?
3.I'm a new immigrant, can I just give up on my residency and forget about the all thing?
4.How can I get it postponed as far as it's possible?
5.I don't have much money, How can I got a free attorney?

Thank You very much.
What is the end result that you want? Of course you are free to give up on your residency and leave the country. However, if you do so before finalizing the divorce it may be more complicated to complete the divorce....and of course immensely more complicated to be part of your son's life.

yuvchg

I'm very confused right now.
I think I want full custody but on the other hand if I can't get it. I also want to help my son but freely without the law involvement at all. So I have asked what happen if I give up on my green card, can they still force me to pay child support?
Thanks.

LdiJ

Yes, you can and will be forced to pay child support whether you are in this country or another one.

That's not necessarily accurate. It is correct if his home country has a treaty with the US regarding the collection of child support.

moburkes

Q. WHAT COUNTRIES DOES THE UNITED STATES HAVE CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT AGREEMENTS WITH AT PRESENT?

A. Since 1996, when Congress for the first time specifically authorized federal-level agreements regarding child support enforcement, the United States has entered into a number of reciprocal agreements, which do not require U.S. Senate advice and consent. Currently, the U.S. has Federal reciprocal arrangements in force with Australia, Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Branswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario; Czech Republic, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic. On May 19, 2000, the Department of State issued a Public Notice in the Federal Register (Vol. 65, Number 98, Page 31953) regarding international child support.

LdiJ

Q. WHAT COUNTRIES DOES THE UNITED STATES HAVE CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT AGREEMENTS WITH AT PRESENT?

A. Since 1996, when Congress for the first time specifically authorized federal-level agreements regarding child support enforcement, the United States has entered into a number of reciprocal agreements, which do not require U.S. Senate advice and consent. Currently, the U.S. has Federal reciprocal arrangements in force with Australia, Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Branswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario; Czech Republic, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic. On May 19, 2000, the Department of State issued a Public Notice in the Federal Register (Vol. 65, Number 98, Page 31953) regarding international child support.
I suspect that there may be a few more now. I think that we have reciprical agreements with most of the European Union now.

Bali Hai

I'm very confused right now.
I think I want full custody but on the other hand if I can't get it. I also want to help my son but freely without the law involvement at all. So I have asked what happen if I give up on my green card, can they still force me to pay child support?
Thanks.
You should pay child support from a moral point of view. However, if you don't have a job that may be difficult to do.

However, your US wife and possibly others signed an affidavit of support for you to enter this country.

If you were to divorce and can't find work, spousal support and maybe other types of support from those who signed the affidavits of support would be in order.

So go get that green card!! Welcome to the US, LAND OF OPPORTUNITY!

LdiJ

You should pay child support from a moral point of view. However, if you don't have a job that may be difficult to do.

However, your US wife and possibly others signed an affidavit of support for you to enter this country.

If you were to divorce and can't find work, spousal support and maybe other types of support from those who signed the affidavits of support would be in order.

So go get that green card!! Welcome to the US, LAND OF OPPORTUNITY!
Bali, if they divorce or separate prior to him receiving the green card, he won't be able to get it and won't be able to stay...

johnb2b

If you leave now, it will be along long time before you see your son again .... and by then, you will own $$$ in child support and whatever the court offers your wife.

If you stay, you will have the chance to present your case, and get the financials taken care of .... she pays you .... you pay her ....

If she is the one who petitioned for you to receive residency, and you have not received your permenenat residency, then you are screwed .... not only that she can withdraw herapplication to adjust your status, but -as part of that package- she can withdraw the financial affidavits submitted along with the application, and expediate your deportation.

A good accountant will get you some emergency funding, but soon enough you will have realize that being responsible is your best bet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">