• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife is Spending $$ and expects me to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyandi

What is the name of your state? NC

My wife has deciced to divorce me (My infidelity)
It has been 4 months, and we have to wait a year. She has been in Florida for over a month. Here are my questions:

1) I opened a bank statement i didnt know she had (in her name) and found out she has blown thru $4000 down in florida shopping & eating in a matter of 3 weeks. Now this isnt my money, her parents are wealthy. I told her i would pay her some support. (She kicked me out of the house).
There is no order for me to pay her anything. Will this hurt me if I decide to pay her nothing?

2) Was it illegal for me to open her mail? (She has been opening every peice of my mail)

snostar

1. It was HER account and her money, why would you have to reimburse her? You are not obligated to pay support unless court ordered.

2. Duh....YES!

tyandi

Mail

So you are saying it is illegal for both of us to open each others mail?
Remember we are still married, does that make it illegal?

LdiJ

tyandi said:
What is the name of your state? NC

My wife has deciced to divorce me (My infidelity)
It has been 4 months, and we have to wait a year. She has been in Florida for over a month. Here are my questions:

1) I opened a bank statement i didnt know she had (in her name) and found out she has blown thru $4000 down in florida shopping & eating in a matter of 3 weeks. Now this isnt my money, her parents are wealthy. I told her i would pay her some support. (She kicked me out of the house).
There is no order for me to pay her anything. Will this hurt me if I decide to pay her nothing?

2) Was it illegal for me to open her mail? (She has been opening every peice of my mail)
Yes, it was illegal for you to open her mail.

If her parent are giving her money that's none of your business. Consult an attorney. If her parents are wealthy you can't afford not to consult one.

snostar

tyandi said:
So you are saying it is illegal for both of us to open each others mail?
Remember we are still married, does that make it illegal?
If the only thing you did was to open a piece of mail that was delivered to you, but not addressed to you, then technically, that could be a 'interference with US mail', but it is high unlikely you would be charged with a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">