• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife still married to "ex".....fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

A friend of my sister's has asked me to help them find legal advice for a situation in Tennessee. I don't have all the details, yet, but here is her post to me:

He ("Joe") just recently found out that his wife is still married to her "ex", apparently something she was aware of but did not share with him. Joe and the woman got married in Las Vegas. Her divorce from "ex" is pending in Wisconsin and is set for hearing June 12, 2009.

She has sucked Joe's accounts dry and even opened some accounts in his name before they were married and while he was over in Afghanastan.

I told him that I'm pretty sure that his marriage is not valid and that he should bring criminal charges against her. Is this accurate? Any other suggestions? Any lawyer referrals in Tennesse? (I'm in Texas).

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

A friend of my sister's has asked me to help them find legal advice for a situation in Tennessee. I don't have all the details, yet, but here is her post to me:

He ("Joe") just recently found out that his wife is still married to her "ex", apparently something she was aware of but did not share with him. Joe and the woman got married in Las Vegas. Her divorce from "ex" is pending in Wisconsin and is set for hearing June 12, 2009.

She has sucked Joe's accounts dry and even opened some accounts in his name before they were married and while he was over in Afghanastan.

I told him that I'm pretty sure that his marriage is not valid and that he should bring criminal charges against her. Is this accurate? Any other suggestions? Any lawyer referrals in Tennesse? (I'm in Texas).
The marriage can be voided, but I don't think it's automatically invalid. He will have to file for an annulment. He can report her for prosecution for bigamy. I assume that he can also charge her with theft, but I'm not 100% sure about that. He should talk with an attorney, or at least talk with the local DA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">