• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife thinks I'm deceiving her regarding alimony.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J.T.

Pennsylvania.

Have been going through the divorce process for 7 months. Have gone to court for custody agreement. Done. Child Support and Spousal Support. Done. Have a signed Matrimonial Settlement Agreement. Done. Matrimonial agreement states that I will pay alimony for five years for the amount agreed on in the child/spousal support agreement. My wife received a 20 day notice stating that she needs to file for alimony or risk the rights to it. My lawyer told me that is a law that this notice goes out regardless of weather there is a spousal agreement or matrimonial agreement in place. Is this correct? Does my wife have to do anything else at this point? Again, we have a child and spousal support agreement in place and the matrimonial agreement states that I will pay alimony for up to five years at the amount agreed upon in the child/spousal support agreement unless she re-marries or cohabitates.

LdiJ

J.T. said:
Pennsylvania.

Have been going through the divorce process for 7 months. Have gone to court for custody agreement. Done. Child Support and Spousal Support. Done. Have a signed Matrimonial Settlement Agreement. Done. Matrimonial agreement states that I will pay alimony for five years for the amount agreed on in the child/spousal support agreement. My wife received a 20 day notice stating that she needs to file for alimony or risk the rights to it. My lawyer told me that is a law that this notice goes out regardless of weather there is a spousal agreement or matrimonial agreement in place. Is this correct? Does my wife have to do anything else at this point? Again, we have a child and spousal support agreement in place and the matrimonial agreement states that I will pay alimony for up to five years at the amount agreed upon in the child/spousal support agreement unless she re-marries or cohabitates.
Tell her to get a separate consult with another attorney to verify what you are telling her. Tell her to take the paperwork and your agreements with her.

J.T.

I agree.

I agree but she really doesn't have the money to spend. Besides, it's cut and dry. Don't you think? If it isn't, I'm all for making it right.

LdiJ

J.T. said:
I agree but she really doesn't have the money to spend. Besides, it's cut and dry. Don't you think? If it isn't, I'm all for making it right.
Its not going to cost much for a 30 minute consult with an attorney. Why don't you offer to pay for it? It may be worth it if it will ease her mind and keep things proceeding smoothly.

J.T.

I've already spent $8,000 on legal fees, gave up 65%, took the basic custody agreement, and I'm paying more child support than I have to. And I really doubt that an attorney in our area will give a 1/2 hour consultation. Do I sound angry? I'm not, just very frustrated. I thought everything was finally complete except for the final stamp, and now this. And I'm told it's just a technicality.

LdiJ

J.T. said:
I've already spent $8,000 on legal fees, gave up 65%, took the basic custody agreement, and I'm paying more child support than I have to. And I really doubt that an attorney in our area will give a 1/2 hour consultation. Do I sound angry? I'm not, just very frustrated. I thought everything was finally complete except for the final stamp, and now this. And I'm told it's just a technicality.
Yes, an attorney will give a 30 minute consultation. Come on here...you have an attorney, she obviously doesn't. That alone is a good reason why she should have the consult. If she came here herself that is exactly what we would tell her to do. That doesn't mean that I think that you or your attorney are trying to pull anything, but she obviously does and things are going to go much smoother for you if her mind is put at ease.

Bali Hai

J.T. said:
Pennsylvania.

Have been going through the divorce process for 7 months. Have gone to court for custody agreement. Done. Child Support and Spousal Support. Done. Have a signed Matrimonial Settlement Agreement. Done.

Matrimonial agreement states that I will pay alimony for five years for the amount agreed on in the child/spousal support agreement.

My wife received a 20 day notice stating that she needs to file for alimony or risk the rights to it. My lawyer told me that is a law that this notice goes out regardless of weather there is a spousal agreement or matrimonial agreement in place. Is this correct? Does my wife have to do anything else at this point? Again, we have a child and spousal support agreement in place and the matrimonial agreement states that I will pay alimony for up to five years at the amount agreed upon in the child/spousal support agreement unless she re-marries or cohabitates.
Child support YES. You are a total jackass for AGREEING to pay any kind of spousal support. Let the judge order that.

J.T.

Jackass? You have no clue. Humor me and tell me your situation. And be detailed so I can tell you how much of an idiot you are. And be man, or woman, enough not to leave anything out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">