• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife took money from equity account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tryingtolearn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

Due to pending divorce, last July, I froze my home equity loan account and followed bank instructions to the letter. Faxed papers as instructed. Account was joint, but was to be frozen for both of us. Did this in the branch.

In December, wife went to bank and withdrew $10,000 from the account and deposited it in a savings account with the same bank in her name only. I suspect she has also removed it to another bank.

When I asked the bank how this can happen, they said the freeze was dropped in August because they did not receive faxed documents. Bank branch employee remembers faxing the docs and calling after to verify receipt.

I have original form faxed and notarized by bank employee.

Of course, wife will not return money, she says it is a guarantee that I "do the right thing". Sounds like blackmail to me, but that's another forum.

Now the bank is doing a backwards shuffle and says they can do nothing because I cannot prove they received the docs. Even with bank employee vouching for the call to verify....

What are my options? I have escalated it up to a senior VP in the equity line department and they are consulting their legal department regarding the lack of notice that they were dropping the freeze and did not warn me. They have my address, and home/work phones on file.

Also, it seems only fair to bill the wife for interest as it accrues until she repays it to the bank. Any issue?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Bali Hai

tryingtolearn said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

Due to pending divorce, last July, I froze my home equity loan account and followed bank instructions to the letter. Faxed papers as instructed. Account was joint, but was to be frozen for both of us. Did this in the branch.

In December, wife went to bank and withdrew $10,000 from the account and deposited it in a savings account with the same bank in her name only. I suspect she has also removed it to another bank.

When I asked the bank how this can happen, they said the freeze was dropped in August because they did not receive faxed documents. Bank branch employee remembers faxing the docs and calling after to verify receipt.

I have original form faxed and notarized by bank employee.

Of course, wife will not return money, she says it is a guarantee that I "do the right thing". Sounds like blackmail to me, but that's another forum.

Now the bank is doing a backwards shuffle and says they can do nothing because I cannot prove they received the docs. Even with bank employee vouching for the call to verify....

What are my options? I have escalated it up to a senior VP in the equity line department and they are consulting their legal department regarding the lack of notice that they were dropping the freeze and did not warn me. They have my address, and home/work phones on file.

Also, it seems only fair to bill the wife for interest as it accrues until she repays it to the bank. Any issue?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Was there a divorce action filed and pending when she attempted to get more than her fair share of the assets?

If not, get it stated pronto.

Get these facts into the record and you'll get 50% of the 10k plus the earnings that would have accrued in the account from the time she withdrew the funds until the divorce becomes final.

You're going to have to fight for these things because you are a man.

Shay-Pari'e

Bali Hai said:
Was there a divorce action filed and pending when she attempted to get more than her fair share of the assets?

If not, get it stated pronto.

Get these facts into the record and you'll get 50% of the 10k plus the earnings that would have accrued in the account from the time she withdrew the funds until the divorce becomes final.

You're going to have to fight for these things because you are a man.
Put a cork in in woman hater! I wonder what you would have said if this story was reversed.

tryingtolearn

Thanks for the reply,

The action was not filed, but she was made aware of the freeze and I have notes in her handwriting verifying this. Repayment is in the filed papers as a term of dissolution.

This was not an asset, it was money pulled against a line of credit. So my debt is increased and she has the cash with no ability to repay.

Paradise,

I didn't cheat, steal or lie for 3 years. Not all guys are jerks. I was too nice. I don't hate women either. She made this mess and "has her rights" even thought she screwed me over.

Thanks

Shay-Pari'e

tryingtolearn said:
Thanks for the reply,

The action was not filed, but she was made aware of the freeze and I have notes in her handwriting verifying this. Repayment is in the filed papers as a term of dissolution.

This was not an asset, it was money pulled against a line of credit. So my debt is increased and she has the cash with no ability to repay.

Paradise,

I didn't cheat, steal or lie for 3 years. Not all guys are jerks. I was too nice. I don't hate women either. She made this mess and "has her rights" even thought she screwed me over.

Thanks
Not you. Bali the scorned old man. He spews his woman hater crap all over the forum.

Bali Hai

--PARIDISE-- said:
Put a cork in in woman hater! I wonder what you would have said if this story was reversed.
I would have said the same thing of course. Fair is fair.

I was only responding to what was posted.

Shay-Pari'e

Bali Hai said:
I would have said the same thing of course. Fair is fair.

I was only responding to what was posted.
(QUOTE)You're going to have to fight for these things because you are a man.(QUOTE)

:rolleyes:

Bali Hai

--PARIDISE-- said:
(QUOTE)You're going to have to fight for these things because you are a man.(QUOTE)

:rolleyes:
Oh that's what has your hakkels up.

That's just my way of saying hang in there and fight for what is rightfully yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">