• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife wants to divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dmf9225

My wife wants to divorce after 17 years of marriage. She has a great job and at the same time she told about the divorce she was offered a new position at her company that will require her to travel to Europe and Asia. I always been a stay home dad since my son was born 9 years ago. Have no money. Always depended on her. Now she wants to move out of state with our son and and offer me an alimony to let her stay with him. I'm very worried and confused because I don't have any family here in the USA. They are everything to me and I know that she won't have the time to give to our son like I have. I m thinking about move close so I can say with my son but that will put me in a dire financial situation as I have to pay for rent etc.
What should I do? I need some guidance.
Thanks on advance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Same thing I'd tell a stay at home Mom - time to get a job. Even with alimony, you will not be able to afford your expenses.

Is there a reason you are not fighting for custody? As a SAHP, you have a decent shot as you have been the primary caregiver. You should speak with an attorney. Whatever assets there are, you are entitled to a share of. And your wife *might* be on the hook for some of your legal fees. At very least, you should file for joint physical and legal custody and an injunction against her removing the child from the home/town/county/state.

ETA, a few additional thoughts. Even if you have custody and get child support - you will not be able to afford to stay at home. The child is 9 - you can work while he is in school. He can go to aftercare if needed.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

If you are a stay at home parent, why has your consideration changed to worrying about you instead of the child's well being?

davew128

If you are a stay at home parent, why has your consideration changed to worrying about you instead of the child's well being?
Because now he can't be a stay at home parent. Personal feelings aside, the reality is that the sole breadwinner in the household is leaving. Any reasonable person in his position might have a bit of anxiety about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">