• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife won't finalize settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klb999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife and I have been married 26 years, we have two adult children who still live with her. We have been separated for about five years now. We have no real estate or significant property. I have left her almost all of our mutual possessions. I have been paying her rent and all bills for all the time we have been separated (she doesn't work - won't even try to - and neither do the kids) and filed for divorce last year. She and I agreed to the amount I would pay her and she claims she is eager to get it over with too. I have the final settlement ready for us to sign and get notarized but she doesn't have an ID. Her drivers license has been suspended and expired for about ten years. She has claimed she went to get a CA ID three months ago but it never arrived in the mail. She said she would go back to get it again but now she is avoiding me and won't answer me online or through texts. She canceled her Facebook account which was how we were communicating. She lives about a two-hour drive from me.

What recourse do I have? I am in another relationship and want to move on and I want to be able to deduct the money I pay her from my taxes.

Thanks for any advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife and I have been married 26 years, we have two adult children who still live with her. We have been separated for about five years now. We have no real estate or significant property. I have left her almost all of our mutual possessions. I have been paying her rent and all bills for all the time we have been separated (she doesn't work - won't even try to - and neither do the kids) and filed for divorce last year. She and I agreed to the amount I would pay her and she claims she is eager to get it over with too. I have the final settlement ready for us to sign and get notarized but she doesn't have an ID. Her drivers license has been suspended and expired for about ten years. She has claimed she went to get a CA ID three months ago but it never arrived in the mail. She said she would go back to get it again but now she is avoiding me and won't answer me online or through texts. She canceled her Facebook account which was how we were communicating. She lives about a two-hour drive from me.

What recourse do I have? I am in another relationship and want to move on and I want to be able to deduct the money I pay her from my taxes.

Thanks for any advice.
She doesn't have to have an ID in order to have a document notarized. Ask the notary.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She doesn't? Everywhere I've looked, it says you have to have an ID to get something notarized. I will ask though.
There are other methods of identification that a notary can use (I was recently appointed as a notary in CA). Speak to your local notary about your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">