• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife wont work - Divorce pending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyandi

What is the name of your state? NC

Update on my situation. My wife is planning on divorce (My Infidelity)
but she went to florida to be with her parents because she doesnt want to see me, quit her job and wants me to pay her bills & expenses here on our empty $180,000 house. I live separatley now and have about $200 left over after all my bills.
What do I do? By the way, she is healthy and 33 years old and is capable of working. We have not signed anything, no legal separtion, nothing.

One last clarifying question. A month ago, I made an agreement on a peice of paper that i would give her the house clear but this was when we were trying to reconcile. We have not signed it, but will that hold up in court even though we did not sign it? Because now i want part of the equity. That agreement was under the premise that we would reconcile (although that was not stated in the agreement) She has changed her mind 3 times on property distribution. But since this is UNSIGNED would it hold up?

Last edited:

tyandi

Still unaswered Question?

What about my first question. (Thanks for the last question, that helps a lot)

Nocgirl

First of all you very much need an attorney.

You do not have to pay her anything unless court ordered.

How long have you been married?

Since she volunarilty quit her job and is capable of working, she cannot expect you to pay her bills. Most states are no fault so alimony is not given just because you had an affair, generally.

So don't pay her anything. You also might be able to claim abandonment if she moved out of the house and not paying any of the bills. It ispossible since she bailed and not paying anything, you may still be awarded the house.

tyandi

Yes, i spoke with an attorney. He says pay nothing either.
We have been married 14 years, and it has been a great marriage until my infidelity, but i have been trying to get her back, she doesnt. I must protect myself now.
Unfortunately NC makes me pay alimony, but for now all ihave at the end of the month is around $200.00.
Also, her parents have her on a trust fund, she recieves 10-20k per year. They are millionaires.

We have both been given this over the years.
Shouldnt she be working? I hate to be a bad guy even though I made a mistake, but how will that look in the courts if she goes down to Florida for a month, quits her job and expects me to pay for the house i dont even live in?
Help me please?

LdiJ

tyandi said:
Yes, i spoke with an attorney. He says pay nothing either.
We have been married 14 years, and it has been a great marriage until my infidelity, but i have been trying to get her back, she doesnt. I must protect myself now.
Unfortunately NC makes me pay alimony, but for now all ihave at the end of the month is around $200.00.
Also, her parents have her on a trust fund, she recieves 10-20k per year. They are millionaires.

We have both been given this over the years.
Shouldnt she be working? I hate to be a bad guy even though I made a mistake, but how will that look in the courts if she goes down to Florida for a month, quits her job and expects me to pay for the house i dont even live in?
Help me please?
If you don't pay for the house, its likely to go into foreclosure. If it does, then both of you will be losing out of the equity in the home, in addition to the serious damage that would be done to your credit.

badd2323

Did you tell your attorney that you had a affair?
if I am correct NC is one of the few states where you can be held responsible for your infidelity.

LdiJ

I will repeat....protecting the equity in the home and protecting his credit report should be the most important thing to the OP at this point.

Doing anything else is STUPID.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">