• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife's Credit Card Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charliesan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
My wife has moved out leaving me with the mortgage. We have not filed documents (or whatever) to separate legally. Until we're either divorced or legally separated, will I be held responsible for her credit card debt (card is in her name only)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
My wife has moved out leaving me with the mortgage. We have not filed documents (or whatever) to separate legally. Until we're either divorced or legally separated, will I be held responsible for her credit card debt (card is in her name only)?
Yes. It is marital debt, so you'll likely end up with half of it in a divorce.

LdiJ

Yes. It is marital debt, so you'll likely end up with half of it in a divorce.
However the credit card company won't hold you responsible in the meantime.

Remember, while you may be left with the mortgage, you are also in possession of the marital home. It is normal that whoever keeps the home, is responsible for the mortgage. You will also eventually have to pay her a share of the equity in the home, unless it is exchanged for other marital assets/debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">