• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will the divorce still go through if she doesn't pay the response fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff26IA

What is the name of your state? California.

If the respondent does not pay the response fee, is it up to me to pay the fee in order to get my divorce, or will the court go after her to get it somehow? (i.e. garnishing wages, income tax, etc...)

The divorce was filed in Orange County, is proceeding by default because she did not file a response, but we do have a Marital Settlement Agreement and according to the book that I've got if an MSA is filed in Orange County, whether a response was filed or not, the fee is due.

Can I as the petitioner still get the divorce if she does not pay the fee, or will I have to pay that fee too?

4ARMADILLOS

re:

calif too

I too was in the same boat as you. She refused to sign the divorce papers or supply a asset & property info. Anyways, It was by way of default, and i was forced to file what is called a bifercation. Which is an emergency type of divorce signed by the judge FOR GOOD REASON. She was prego w/others baby. She never paid (required BEFORE the bifercation was filed) because it went into default. If you are doing your own divorce and have no kids then write her a letter requesting, she file her forms immediatly and pay a fee BEFORE such and such date or - You will hire an attorney and will request she pay the fees to due her reluctance to comply. use those last words and attorney fees. that usually moves people. Or just go or call the county clerk and they will usually tell you if it can contiue as default. hope this helps.A

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">