• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will I loose everything I have worked for all my life?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia
I have been married to a man that is 25 years older than me for 21 years. When we got married he brought nothing to the marriage (financially). I had a peice pf property that was given to me by my mother which I deeded 1/2 of it over to him in 2000 for tax reasons. He retired in 1997 and draws $1000.00/mo SSI which pays for the animals, his medicine, his gas, and his spending which I still have to supplement with more money more times than not. I on the other hand pay all the bills for the house hold to include mortage, all insurances (house, cars, his supplement to medicare, life) all utilities, camper payment, car payment, taxes etc... I bought him a brand new truck several years ago for his birthday that I made every payment on. I also bought a peice of property on the river that I have paid for solely. I am by far a wealthy person, I have just been able to work very hard to have alittle bit, but do not have any cash on the bank. I have decided that I want a divorce for many different reasons. He has never been mean to me or had adultureous affairs, I am just no longer inlove with him and don't want to be married anymore. I am scared that I am going to loose all that I have worked so hard for and that my mother worked so hard for to someone that has contributed nothing to our marriage. Can you give me any advice as to what I should do to prevent loosing out. I want to be as fair and friendly as possible, but I don't want to get totally screwed. Please help me.

mistoffolees

I have been married to a man that is 25 years older than me for 21 years. When we got married he brought nothing to the marriage (financially). I had a peice pf property that was given to me by my mother which I deeded 1/2 of it over to him in 2000 for tax reasons. He retired in 1997 and draws $1000.00/mo SSI which pays for the animals, his medicine, his gas, and his spending which I still have to supplement with more money more times than not. I on the other hand pay all the bills for the house hold to include mortage, all insurances (house, cars, his supplement to medicare, life) all utilities, camper payment, car payment, taxes etc... I bought him a brand new truck several years ago for his birthday that I made every payment on. I also bought a peice of property on the river that I have paid for solely. I am by far a wealthy person, I have just been able to work very hard to have alittle bit, but do not have any cash on the bank. I have decided that I want a divorce for many different reasons. He has never been mean to me or had adultureous affairs, I am just no longer inlove with him and don't want to be married anymore. I am scared that I am going to loose all that I have worked so hard for and that my mother worked so hard for to someone that has contributed nothing to our marriage. Can you give me any advice as to what I should do to prevent loosing out. I want to be as fair and friendly as possible, but I don't want to get totally screwed. Please help me.
No, you probably won't lose everything you've worked for -- just half.

He's entitled to half of marital assets. See an attorney to explain what that means. He may also be able to ask for spousal support, depending on how much you earn.

moburkes

Agreed. When you deeded 1/2 that property to him, it became marital property, and his. You chose to do that. You chose to stay married for so long and you chose to support him. You will likely continue to do so in some form or another.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have been married to a man that is 25 years older than me for 21 years. When we got married he brought nothing to the marriage (financially). I had a peice pf property that was given to me by my mother which I deeded 1/2 of it over to him in 2000 for tax reasons.
That is marital property now. He is entitled to half the value of the property -- which means either of you can buy the other out.

He retired in 1997 and draws $1000.00/mo SSI which pays for the animals, his medicine, his gas, and his spending which I still have to supplement with more money more times than not.
How much do you earn? You have a long term marriage and depending you may owe him alimony.
I on the other hand pay all the bills for the house hold to include mortage, all insurances (house, cars, his supplement to medicare, life) all utilities, camper payment, car payment, taxes etc...
The house, camper and car are all marital property.

I bought him a brand new truck several years ago for his birthday that I made every payment on.
Marital property.

I also bought a peice of property on the river that I have paid for solely.
Marital property.

I am by far a wealthy person, I have just been able to work very hard to have alittle bit, but do not have any cash on the bank.
Okay.

I have decided that I want a divorce for many different reasons. He has never been mean to me or had adultureous affairs, I am just no longer inlove with him and don't want to be married anymore. I am scared that I am going to loose all that I have worked so hard for and that my mother worked so hard for to someone that has contributed nothing to our marriage
He has contributed to your marriage. He has paid for many things according to you. Maybe not things that you chose but still he has paid for things.

Can you give me any advice as to what I should do to prevent loosing out. I want to be as fair and friendly as possible, but I don't want to get totally screwed. Please help me.
Be prepared that he is entitled to half the marital property and responsible for half the marital debt. Depending on your income you may owe him alimony. Try to reach a settlement with him knowing the above. If you take more of the debt you may receive more of the property to "equalize" things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">