• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I be responsible for his debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jilljustina

My husband and I are planning on divorcing. We live in Missouri. He is trying to take out a home mortgage for himself to purchase a home for him to live in after the divorce. If he is able to get a home loan while we are still married, am I responsible for this debt? I will not sign any papers, but am afraid he will take out the loan and then that will become my liability as well.

He refuses to wait until we are divorced to take out the loan because he is afraid he will not qualify.

So can he take out a loan without my signature and I still be responsible for it since we are still married?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MissouriWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

My husband and I are planning on divorcing. We live in Missouri. He is trying to take out a home mortgage for himself to purchase a home for him to live in after the divorce. If he is able to get a home loan while we are still married, am I responsible for this debt? I will not sign any papers, but am afraid he will take out the loan and then that will become my liability as well.

He refuses to wait until we are divorced to take out the loan because he is afraid he will not qualify.

So can he take out a loan without my signature and I still be responsible for it since we are still married?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MissouriWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No, you will not be responsible for the mortgage, but unless he is planning on using your income to help him qualify, it makes no difference if he does it now or after you get divorced. Do NOT let him use any of your income information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">