• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdraw Divorce Complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fiorellon

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I asked this yesterday, but I thought I would re-phrase to see if anyone could help. I filed a divorce complaint and my wife filed an appearance. Now I want to withdraw the complaint because I don't want the divorce anymore and I want to try to work it out. I want her to have to file if she wants, but I do not want to be the plaintiff. Could anyone tell me how to proceed?

Thanks.

fiorellon

Re: File a motion to dismiss without prejudice.

Thanks for the reply. I filed a stipulation of dismissal, but does the defendant (my wife) have to sign off?

seniorjudge

Q: I filed a stipulation of dismissal, but does the defendant (my wife) have to sign off?

A: Has she answered the petition and/or filed a counterclaim?

fiorellon

Re: Has she answered the petition and/or filed a counterclaim?

Thanks for the reply. All she did is file a "Notice of Appearance." We received a date for the first case management conference, but I want to withdraw the complaint before the conference. I think it was stupid of me to file in the first place and I just want to withdraw/dismiss the complaint. I don't know if I can get her to sign a stip. of dismissal which is why I am curious if she needs to. I thought that being the plaintiff I would be able to decide to not pursue the case anymore and that 's it. Is that not the case? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">