• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdraw divorce complaint?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattypalmer

How do I withdraw a divorce complaint in NY? I am the plaintiff. I do not believe there is a counter-complaint (but how would I find out)?

Do I need a lawyer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

How did you file for divorce? (If you are in NY how did you do this without a lawyer...)

Was this like an impulse and now you don't want to do it and don't want wife to know...

Last edited:

pattypalmer

I left my abusive husband and went to my parents house in a nearby state. I was still on maternity leave at the time. We had filed cross-motions for custody in family court in NY. The family court judge allowed me to unofficially remain in my parents' home.

Things were adjourned, etc., and generally got dragged out. We were working on a settlement but I was unhappy with the terms. Meanwhile, residency had been established in this new state (where I'd grown up).

Through a series of chance events, the law guardian never appeared in Family Court to request an adjournment and our cross-petitions were completely dismissed. Now custody is all up in the air. So I filed for custody in my new state.

But there are jurisdiction issues. So to alleviate those jurisdiction issues, I was hoping I could withdraw proceedings in NY and move everything to new state.

I was the plaintiff in NY.

But my attorney hasn't gotten back to me with any of his "research" yet on how to do this, if I even can (he has to look back on my file to see if there was a counter-complaint ... I wasn't actually served with papers but maybe they went to my attorney and not to me?).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">