• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withholding money from spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robeill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Background - My wife of 22 years has announced to our 3 minor children, our friends and our family that she is filing for divorce. She has yet to file, but has made it clear that will happen soon.

Being the sole source provider for the family, and not making a lot of money has been tough. I never realized just how tough, until I changed my direct deposit from our joint account to an account that only I can access. She already had an account that she could only access. She claims that it was to pay the bills with. I started paying the bills and realized that most are past due. Not because of nonpayment, we just seemed to always be late. I get paid every two weeks. When I questioned the bills she stated that they have always been like that and it takes some juggling to get them done. I have always just "handed over" my pay check and let her deal with the bills, i know my fault for not being more involved with the family finances.

Now that I have taken over the finances I have really tightened our budget. No more eating out and no more frivolous spending. As of this writing I only have 7 dollars in my account and don't have milk in the frig. Frustrating for me as I had vowed to take care of my family and always have done so. Now all money is going into a checking account that only I have access. I pay the bills, buy the groceries, and put gas in both of our vehicles, leaving us with little spending money, less that 40 a pay period and sometimes not even that. I have set priorities on these general expenses. Bills 60%, groceries 30%, gas 10%. This past pay day was extremely tight, hence only having 7 dollars left. I am also starting to budget for other expenses, ie school supplies (I know early but I have 3 school age children) and school clothes. I also get military disability but that too is very little and goes to pay bills.

My wife is completely upset that I have done this, and claims that it is illegal to withhold money from her. I'm not sure as all the bills are being paid, groceries are being bought, and I put gas in her car.

Now some questions:

Is what I'm doing illegal?
Does she have access to my disability once divorce is granted?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Background - My wife of 22 years has announced to our 3 minor children, our friends and our family that she is filing for divorce. She has yet to file, but has made it clear that will happen soon.

Being the sole source provider for the family, and not making a lot of money has been tough. I never realized just how tough, until I changed my direct deposit from our joint account to an account that only I can access. She already had an account that she could only access. She claims that it was to pay the bills with. I started paying the bills and realized that most are past due. Not because of nonpayment, we just seemed to always be late. I get paid every two weeks. When I questioned the bills she stated that they have always been like that and it takes some juggling to get them done. I have always just "handed over" my pay check and let her deal with the bills, i know my fault for not being more involved with the family finances.

Now that I have taken over the finances I have really tightened our budget. No more eating out and no more frivolous spending. As of this writing I only have 7 dollars in my account and don't have milk in the frig. Frustrating for me as I had vowed to take care of my family and always have done so. Now all money is going into a checking account that only I have access. I pay the bills, buy the groceries, and put gas in both of our vehicles, leaving us with little spending money, less that 40 a pay period and sometimes not even that. I have set priorities on these general expenses. Bills 60%, groceries 30%, gas 10%. This past pay day was extremely tight, hence only having 7 dollars left. I am also starting to budget for other expenses, ie school supplies (I know early but I have 3 school age children) and school clothes. I also get military disability but that too is very little and goes to pay bills.

My wife is completely upset that I have done this, and claims that it is illegal to withhold money from her. I'm not sure as all the bills are being paid, groceries are being bought, and I put gas in her car.

Now some questions:

Is what I'm doing illegal?
Does she have access to my disability once divorce is granted?
You are not doing anything illegal. WHy doesn't your wife get a job?

Has your wife given you access to HER account if she wants access to YOUR account?

robeill

You are not doing anything illegal. WHy doesn't y. r wife get a job?

Has your wife given you access to HER account if she wants access to YOUR account?
I have asked her for the past 5 years to get a job or go back to school. Now that she has decided to divorce she wants to go back to school to get her degree. Ugh why now right.

And no she will not give me access to her account.

Now I need to find out about the disability.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Having been in a similar situation, I have to ask - was there ever any discussion, commentary, etc. about how tight things were? 'Cause I remember telling my ex things were tight, kiddo needed new shoes so we needed to skip dinner out. And then he went out and bought something completely frivolous. Because HE was working and I was a SAHM. I went out and got a job so my kid could have shoes instead of what his Dad bought.

Always two sides.

Oh, and when Mom does get a job? You'll be helping pay for childcare.

robeill

Having been in a similar situation, I have to ask - was there ever any discussion, commentary, etc. about how tight things were? 'Cause I remember telling my ex things were tight, kiddo needed new shoes so we needed to skip dinner out. And then he went out and bought something completely frivolous. Because HE was working and I was a SAHM. I went out and got a job so my kid could have shoes instead of what his Dad bought.

Always two sides.

Oh, and when Mom does get a job? You'll be helping pay for childcare.
there is discussion all the time about the money. I even show her my account transactions so she knows where and how money is being spent.

I don't mind paying for the care of my children. Spousal support I do mind, just because I have have asked her for years to help and get a job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
there is discussion all the time about the money. I even show her my account transactions so she knows where and how money is being spent.

I don't mind paying for the care of my children. Spousal support I do mind, just because I have have asked her for years to help and get a job.
I'm sorry that you "mind" spousal support, because in CA, for a long term marriage with this set of facts, I can virtually guarantee you that you will be paying it for a long time...

CSO286

You mentioned the three minor children. How old are they?

Just spitballing here, but is it possible that any work Mom could have been doing would not earn enough money to cover the add'l work and childcare expenses; ie., work clothes, gas, repairs, daycare?

Daycare for three could be quite pricey.

robeill

I'm sorry that you "mind" spousal support, because in CA, for a long term marriage with this set of facts, I can virtually guarantee you that you will be paying it for a long time...
Yeah just wish I could convince the court otherwise.

robeill

You mentioned the three minor children. How old are they?

Just spitballing here, but is it possible that any work Mom could have been doing would not earn enough money to cover the add'l work and childcare expenses; ie., work clothes, gas, repairs, daycare?

Daycare for three could be quite pricey.
All three attend public school so it would be after school programs. We could have afforded it if she even made minimum wage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All three attend public school so it would be after school programs. We could have afforded it if she even made minimum wage.
From an outsider's perspective:

The two of you have a long-term marriage with 3 minor children at present. You mutually decided that your wife would stay at home to care for said children. You know how much money you make, and you should at least have a concept of what the bills are and and what you spend "out and about". The financial situation you are in is not solely your wife's fault and did not spring up suddenly. It has been caused by mutual acts that have been on-going for many years.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This past pay day was extremely tight, hence only having 7 dollars left. I am also starting to budget for other expenses, ie school supplies (I know early but I have 3 school age children) and school clothes. I also get military disability but that too is very little and goes to pay bills.
twins are 6 and one 14 year old

85k a year
:confused::confused:

CSO286

California rental prices and housing is more expensive than many places. And apparently OP and his wife weren't being strict budgeters and may have been living on credit cards.
I must be spoiled rotten up here in MN. If we made $85K, I'd be doing a happy dance and we'd already be debt-free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">