• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won't move her stuff and I'm tired of being storage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aviator41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My STBX and I have been seperated since early may. She has moved out the vast majority of her belongings - things like her clothes and her daughters clothes, the master bedroom suite etc..

However, there's STILL an entire garage full of stuff of hers that I've asked her to remove. She has said she will not remove the remainder of her belongings until the divorce is final.

As it stands right now, I can't use my garage to park my vehicle. The whole reason she is doing this is to just inconvenience me, I am sure. Most of the stuff is her childs toys and her bedroom furniture (she moved into a one bedroom apartment when she left) and misc items from around the house.

Do I have any recourse to ask the courts to MAKE her remove this stuff? were not talking about marital assets, these are her pre-marital assets. I want my garage back before winter hits! If she doesn't want this stuff, I would like to get rid of it, but there's a temporary injunction barring me from doing anything with any assets. I'd even be happy putting them into storage for her as long as I can ensure SHE will be responsible for the bill.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My STBX and I have been seperated since early may. She has moved out the vast majority of her belongings - things like her clothes and her daughters clothes, the master bedroom suite etc..

However, there's STILL an entire garage full of stuff of hers that I've asked her to remove. She has said she will not remove the remainder of her belongings until the divorce is final.

As it stands right now, I can't use my garage to park my vehicle. The whole reason she is doing this is to just inconvenience me, I am sure. Most of the stuff is her childs toys and her bedroom furniture (she moved into a one bedroom apartment when she left) and misc items from around the house.

Do I have any recourse to ask the courts to MAKE her remove this stuff? were not talking about marital assets, these are her pre-marital assets. I want my garage back before winter hits! If she doesn't want this stuff, I would like to get rid of it, but there's a temporary injunction barring me from doing anything with any assets. I'd even be happy putting them into storage for her as long as I can ensure SHE will be responsible for the bill.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Sure, you can ASK the court to have her remove the stuff, but maybe you should just chill out. She moved into a one bedroom apartment and needs to get her life in order before she knows what to do with it. It's far more likely that she just doesn't have room for things right now and doesn't know what to do with them than your allegation that she's doing it just to inconvenience you. Believe me, being stuffed into a one bedroom apartment with kids and not knowing where everything is because you don't have room for everything in your apartment is a LOT more inconvenience than simply parking the car outside.

Until the divorce is final, the house you're living in is half hers, so she has every right to use the garage.

aviator41

She's had half a year to "get her life in order"!! She's also promised to move her stuff out several times but like to many other empty promises she's never shown. How patient does a guy have to be?

The house were living in is in MY NAME, as well as the mortgage and there is no dispute as to who gets the home.

mistoffolees

She's had half a year to "get her life in order"!! She's also promised to move her stuff out several times but like to many other empty promises she's never shown. How patient does a guy have to be?

The house were living in is in MY NAME, as well as the mortgage and there is no dispute as to who gets the home.
Get off your high horse.

No one said that she owned the home, but it's the MARITAL HOME. What part of that don't you get?

You're severely lacking in compassion, empathy, and rationality if you think 6 months is plenty to get her life in order. She had to move out of the family home into a one bedroom apartment and doesn't have room for everything. Since the divorce isn't final, she's left some things in your garage. That is by any standard very reasonable - at least until the divorce is final.

Give her a break - and grow up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

It is the MARITAL residence. Until the divorce is final she has a right to keep her stuff there. In the final decree of divorce ask for permission to dispose of any belongings remaining longer than 30 days after the final decree of divorce.

aviator41

Umm... telling a perfect stranger to "grow up" or "get off your high horse" over the internet show REALLY bad manners... you need a lesson it forum etiquette.

Remember who

Remember who you are dealing with here. Women are always right even when they contradict themselves. They can change their mind any time and it's your fault if they are wrong. You need to be thouroughly understanding and compassionate of their needs at all times even if it cripples and bankrupts you. After all they need time to get their life together.
My ex threatened to kill me with a hand gun. She had to be removed from the residence by restraining order. She was ordered in court one year later to pick up her stuff after whining she couldn't get it and I was not allowing her to get it. She never showed up with her helpers 3 times after the ordered date. 9 months later when the divorce was final, I hired movers, packed it, helped load the truck etc. She called 2 hours into the move and complained that it was taking too long!!
She then complained that she didn't want this or that because she didn't have room or didn't have any interest in it any more.

7 months later she now is threatening to take me to court to get things she didn't want. Oh and she claims I kept things that were actualy moved. And her car!! that is a whole nother story. She says I am refusing to let her have it. She locked it and it hasn't been moved or opened for 2 years!!

She still won't come get it!!

Maybe she needs more time to get her life together???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Remember who you are dealing with here. Women are always right even when they contradict themselves. They can change their mind any time and it's your fault if they are wrong. You need to be thouroughly understanding and compassionate of their needs at all times even if it cripples and bankrupts you. After all they need time to get their life together.
My ex threatened to kill me with a hand gun. She had to be removed from the residence by restraining order. She was ordered in court one year later to pick up her stuff after whining she couldn't get it and I was not allowing her to get it. She never showed up with her helpers 3 times after the ordered date. 9 months later when the divorce was final, I hired movers, packed it, helped load the truck etc. She called 2 hours into the move and complained that it was taking too long!!
She then complained that she didn't want this or that because she didn't have room or didn't have any interest in it any more.

7 months later she now is threatening to take me to court to get things she didn't want. Oh and she claims I kept things that were actualy moved. And her car!! that is a whole nother story. She says I am refusing to let her have it. She locked it and it hasn't been moved or opened for 2 years!!

She still won't come get it!!

Maybe she needs more time to get her life together???
Don't hijack threads - you offered NO advice.

basylica

I can see why she doesn't want to be married to you anymore.

my ex still has crap in my garage and it's almost 2 years now.
AND he forced me to put a new lock on it to make sure nothing happened to his stuff. *eyeroll*

if/when it's final, have something issued in decree that she's to make arrangements to get the rest of her stuff by a certain date. until then, its her property and tossing it opens you up to being sued.

Be prepared, I have honestly a dumpster sized collection of stuff my ex decided to stick me with because according to my father in law who came to help last round "we aren't taking your garbage"
(the urge to say "you took the ex back in" was very great!)

aviator41

We're getting divorce because I caught her cheating - with multiple people - she just beat me to the courthouse to file the papers.

Isis1

We're getting divorce because I caught her cheating - with multiple people - she just beat me to the courthouse to file the papers.
doesn't change the fact that you are living in the marital home until a court order says otherwise. so wife gets to keep her stuff in the marital home. until a judge says otherwise.

CJane

doesn't change the fact that you are living in the marital home until a court order says otherwise. so wife gets to keep her stuff in the marital home. until a judge says otherwise.
Wife could actually MOVE BACK IN to the marital home unless/until a judge says otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">