• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried about house once I leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Hi.. Been a while since I posted.

Here is my worry. I am filing for divorce in 2 months, and moving out of our marital home. The house is in both our names, we have had it for 3 yrs and have done extensive upgrades to it. (my parents came down from Mass. for a month and did a majority of the recent work)

I am asking for 50 percent of the equity in the home at my divorce. With the slowing market, the sale could take quite a while. I plan on hiring an appraiser before i leave in October to get the value of the home. My worry is, is that my husband is NOT going to finish/mow/clean/care for the house. I know you are all going to say it is speculative, but you don't know him like i do (16 yrs married) He will drink, smoke, etc in the home, not clean it, barely mow and so on.

I am afraid that the POSSIBLE equity of say $40,000 (my guestimate by the improvements, size of the home, and area houses for sale that are smaller) will go down the tubes. Basically, if an appraiser says it is worth $$$$... but it sells for only $$$.

What can I do? Anything at all to protect my interests?

Thanks...

nextwife

Yes. Stay put until it's sold and take some responsibility for keeping it in readiness to show.

Or hire a lawn cutting service and cleaning service to regularly maintain it to showing standards, just the same as you would if you and he were both moving out.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">