• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried about my mother, father won't pay bills.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veryworriedson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am worried about my mother. My father refuses to pay any bills. He has had a seperate account for 1 1/2 years, which his paychecks go into. They have been married for around 20 years. My mother quit her job to take care of me, 18, and my brother, 17, when we were younger. I recently moved out for college, and my brother is soon as well. She left her career job, where her and my father were making pretty equal pay. My father claims that he never wanted her to quit. He constantly brings up past mistakes, such as alcohol and drug use of my brother and I, which we are now clean and clear of. He says it is all my mother's fault, and claims he will "bill her" for the drugs if she divorces him. He also says she bought my brother a car when he said no. He basically says he is going to tell the judge that she "payed for my drugs", which is insane. That is not a sound legal argument, is it?

The mortgage hasn't been payed for two months, along with the electricity and water. My mom has been struggling to pay these for a year, getting help from my grandparents occasionally. She just doesn't have enough income. My father works late, comes in and does whatever he wants, while verbally abusing my mother almost daily. What are her options? Is there anyway she can get him out or make him pay? Is verbal abuse enough for a restraining order?

That is short term though. Long term, she has land in her parents name that she can move onto after a divorce. What are her options?

mistoffolees

Her options?

Basically, file for divorce, ask for temporary support for the transition period, sell the house if she can't afford it, and get a job which allows her to be self-sufficient. With the kids grown up, she can't use the 'raising kids' excuse any more.

LdiJ

Her options?

Basically, file for divorce, ask for temporary support for the transition period, sell the house if she can't afford it, and get a job which allows her to be self-sufficient. With the kids grown up, she can't use the 'raising kids' excuse any more.
Obviously she already is working since he stated that she has income, just not enough to pay all the bills. There is also still a 17 year old at home.

OP, your father's statements regarding the drugs and billing your mother are ridiculous. She needs an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Obviously she already is working since he stated that she has income, just not enough to pay all the bills. There is also still a 17 year old at home.

OP, your father's statements regarding the drugs and billing your mother are ridiculous. She needs an attorney.
A 17 year old? mom can work with a 17 year old at home. Dad has done it. Mom cannot use the excuse of raising childrne to avoid working more time.

mistoffolees

Obviously she already is working since he stated that she has income, just not enough to pay all the bills.
So working is the only way to have an income? I guess you never heard of income from investments. Also, many people consider alimony and child support to be income, even though they are not.

She stated that the mother quit the job. She never stated that the mother took another job. So, as far as OP has explained, mother is not working.

In any event, it doesn't matter. The mother needs to earn whatever income she can and then adjust her expenses accordingly. She needs to increase her income (a 17 year old at home is irrelevant) and cut expenses.

LdiJ

A 17 year old? mom can work with a 17 year old at home. Dad has done it. Mom cannot use the excuse of raising childrne to avoid working more time.
I meant that there is a 17 year old at home to support.

LdiJ

So working is the only way to have an income? I guess you never heard of income from investments. Also, many people consider alimony and child support to be income, even though they are not.

She stated that the mother quit the job. She never stated that the mother took another job. So, as far as OP has explained, mother is not working.

In any event, it doesn't matter. The mother needs to earn whatever income she can and then adjust her expenses accordingly. She needs to increase her income (a 17 year old at home is irrelevant) and cut expenses.
If someone had investments that were bringing in a monthly income, its unlikely that they would be behind in the mortgage...they would tap their principal.;)

Its also highly unlikely that there is any child support or alimony since the OP has stated that the husband is his father, and they have been married 20 years.

She may be receiving some disability income, but if that's the case its unlikely to be more than SSI if your argument that she has no earned income is correct.

She may have an inheritance but that isn't likely since apparently her parents are still living (as they have been occasionally helping her) and again, if there was money out there, she would tap it so that the mortgage and utilities were not behind.

mistoffolees

If someone had investments that were bringing in a monthly income, its unlikely that they would be behind in the mortgage...they would tap their principal.;)

Its also highly unlikely that there is any child support or alimony since the OP has stated that the husband is his father, and they have been married 20 years.

She may be receiving some disability income, but if that's the case its unlikely to be more than SSI if your argument that she has no earned income is correct.

She may have an inheritance but that isn't likely since apparently her parents are still living (as they have been occasionally helping her) and again, if there was money out there, she would tap it so that the mortgage and utilities were not behind.
So we can choose to work with your assumptions or with what the OP actually said.

Sorry, but I'll go with what she said - she quit her job.

LdiJ

So we can choose to work with your assumptions or with what the OP actually said.

Sorry, but I'll go with what she said - she quit her job.
The OP said that she quit her job 20 years ago...gave up the career path...not that she wasn't working now.

mistoffolees

The OP said that she quit her job 20 years ago....
Actually, it doesn't say that, either. It simply says that she quit her job. No mention of 20 years - only 'when we were younger'.

Maybe you should try sticking to what people write. If there's something missing, you could ask them instead of making things up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">