• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

would my wife be entitled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almoors

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My wife and I married in Haiti 22 years ago under the condition that assets obtained before the marriage
would not be shared if divorce would happen. We moved to the USA 4 years ago. I sold my house in
Haiti (purchased before marriage) and open an income producing account in my name 2 months ago with the proceeds
from the sale. now I want to divorce, would my wife be entitled to anything from the proceeds of the house sold?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My wife and I married in Haiti 22 years ago under the condition that assets obtained before the marriage
would not be shared if divorce would happen. We moved to the USA 4 years ago. I sold my house in
Haiti (purchased before marriage) and open an income producing account in my name 2 months ago with the proceeds
from the sale. now I want to divorce, would my wife be entitled to anything from the proceeds of the house sold?
Iffy...where did you open the income producing account?

Had it been a home in the US she would likely be entitled to 50% of the increased value of the home from the date of marriage until now...but the premarital value would have been solely yours. How much money are we actually talking about?

almoors

Iffy...where did you open the income producing account?

Had it been a home in the US she would likely be entitled to 50% of the increased value of the home from the date of marriage until now...but the premarital value would have been solely yours. How much money are we actually talking about?
The account was opened in Florida. money in the account is $140k.

single317dad

Where do you plan to file for divorce? If in the US, then I would think that US court would exercise jurisdiction over division of your assets held in the US.

You stand to lose $70k here, give or take. I think that kind of money warrants an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">