• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Young Army Wife Seeking Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miss_p0tter

What is the name of your state?: Kansas

I've been married to a soldier of the US Army for 5 months. He's been AWOL for almost 2 months now. I haven't been able to reach him. His cell phone has been turned off. Only way I know anything is through his family and friends. He's got a girlfriend and has proven his instability and lack of commitment. Last time I was able to talk to him I notified him I wanted a separation and he told me that I would have to take care of it myself. I have very little to no knowledge of divorce/annulment and especially how this works with him being Military. I'm looking for some advice, at least a starting point where I can go from. I appreciate your time and any help you can provide.

-Eden

Last edited:

Farfalla

What is the name of your state?: Kansas

I've been married to a militant of 5 months.
Why are you calling him a 'militant'? Do you live in Montana? :D

"Militant" generally as a negative connotation. He is a soldier or a member of the military, not a militant.

He's been AWOL for almost 2 months now. I haven't been able to reach him. His cell phone has been turned off. Only way I know anything is through his family and friends. He's got a girlfriend and has proven his instability and lack of commitment. Last time I was able to talk to him I notified him I wanted a separation and he told me that I would have to take care of it myself. I have very little to no knowledge of divorce/annulment and especially how this works with him being Military. I'm looking for some advice, at least a starting point where I can go from. I appreciate your time and any help you can provide.

-Eden
IF you know where he is, or how to reach him, like through his family you are legally bound to tell the authorities. He family is committing a felony if they don't do this too.

How long have you two been married?

How long has he been in the military?

Do you have any children?

Are there any assets to divide?

Have you checked out the military forum on here too?

Have you called JAG?

Silverplum

I can't imagine why some of you are advising her to ask the military for help. She's not military. She's done nothing to earn those benefits. She gets plenty of freebies just because she married military, but the military is NOT going to help her divorce a servicemember.

Not that her AWOL POC "husband" has earned any bennies, either. :rolleyes:

miss_p0tter

Why are you calling him a 'militant'? Do you live in Montana? :D

"Militant" generally as a negative connotation. He is a soldier or a member of the military, not a militant.

IF you know where he is, or how to reach him, like through his family you are legally bound to tell the authorities. He family is committing a felony if they don't do this too.

How long have you two been married?

How long has he been in the military?

Do you have any children?

Are there any assets to divide?

Have you checked out the military forum on here too?

Have you called JAG?

I apologize for calling him a militant. New to the whole scenario so was unaware it was seen as a negative comment.
The Military knows where he is.
I did inform them.
His family informed them.
And they've done nothing.
Even when he was arrested for domestic violence and a couple other charges when I went to try and bring him back, they made no move to get custody of him and bring him back to KS.
We've been married for 5 months.
He's been in for a year and a half.
We have no children, no property together, nothing.
Did check out the Military forum didn't see much that was helpful.
Called JAG, but due to the holiday didn't get a response (I intend to keep trying).

Silverplum

So file for divorce. There's nothing to fight over, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I apologize for calling him a militant. New to the whole scenario so was unaware it was seen as a negative comment.
The Military knows where he is.
I did inform them.
His family informed them.
And they've done nothing.
Even when he was arrested for domestic violence and a couple other charges when I went to try and bring him back, they made no move to get custody of him and bring him back to KS.
We've been married for 5 months.
He's been in for a year and a half.
We have no children, no property together, nothing.
Did check out the Military forum didn't see much that was helpful.
Called JAG, but due to the holiday didn't get a response (I intend to keep trying).

miss_p0tter

I can't imagine why some of you are advising her to ask the military for help. She's not military. She's done nothing to earn those benefits. She gets plenty of freebies just because she married military, but the military is NOT going to help her divorce a servicemember.

Silverplum has a point.
They're not eager to help me out.
They're loyalty is to him even with the circumstances. -.-

mistoffolees

No one suggested that the military would get her a divorce. What I suggested was that she talk with the spouse's support group. They might, just as a few examples:
1. Have been through the process before and be able to guide her with some of the peculiarities of military divorce.
2. Refer her to a local attorney who is familiar with military divorce and works for a reasonable fee.
3. Help her to understand just what her status will be post-divorce
and so on.

Not to mention the value of emotional support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">