• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

young and uninformed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CAnn

What is the name of your state? California. I was married when I was 19 to a man who was abusive. It lasted eight months before I left. I filed for divorce in 1991 and because we had a child and he wanted to fight about everything, I did not get my divorce until May 11, 1994. (I did not have a lawyer and did all the paperwork myself) I had met a wonderful man in 1993 whom I wanted to marry. So we promptly got a confidential licence (we were already living together) We were not asked if we had been divorced or anything by the clerk when we got our licence. I thought that when I raised my right hand and received my divorce in court that it was finished, especialy since it had been 2 1/2 years since I had filed. Soon after we were married, we moved and apparently did not get our final documents, or so I've been told because my husband was applying for position of sheriff here in our county when the background investigation showed that we were infact married before the final date stated on the court docs. six months after we were married!!!!
Since that time we have had three children and renewed our vows with a Pastor but no licence. What the heck do we do, if anything? I would have gotten an anulment but I didnt have the funds at the time. Can we go to court and explain this to a judge? Can he make our marriage legal? I would marry him again if that is what it takes. We are happy after nine years and we just want it to be legal. I have called lawyers in my area and nobody can tell me what to do. Thanks

kat1963

I don't know CA laws, but I will tell you this. Make a consult with an attorney ASAP, not just a phone call! You will probably be required to have the marriage to your current *boyfriend/husband* annuled because it's NOT legal, then get remarried. Finalizing your divorce doesn't make your current *marriage* legal. It was illegal to have done so in the first place so just because there was a divorce, doesn't change the status of your current marriage. Does that make any sense? Sorry, lack of sleep. Do SEE a lawyer.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">