• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense of domestic battery...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyandcamsmama09

I live in Reno Nevada. My fiance' went to jail for domestic battery. He got bailed out by his parents. How long can he spend in there if i didn't press charges and it was his first offense? I also HAD to get a temporary protection order so i didn't get kicked out of my apartment but I have since dropped it. And I wanted to be a witness for him when he goes to court. Can the DA make me testify against him if I don't want too, and what can they do if I want to be a witness for him instead? Im really stressed out because I hit him too and I don't think he should go to jail over this. What are the chances that he will not get arrested and get anger management and alcohol abuse classes instead?

ajkroy

I live in Reno Nevada. My fiance' went to jail for domestic battery. He got bailed out by his parents. How long can he spend in there if i didn't press charges and it was his first offense? I also HAD to get a temporary protection order so i didn't get kicked out of my apartment but I have since dropped it. And I wanted to be a witness for him when he goes to court. Can the DA make me testify against him if I don't want too, and what can they do if I want to be a witness for him instead? Im really stressed out because I hit him too and I don't think he should go to jail over this. What are the chances that he will not get arrested and get anger management and alcohol abuse classes instead?
Interesting that you titled your thread the way you did, rather than indicate this was the only incident. It seems that even you don't think it will be the only time...

He has already been arrested. THIS time, anyway. The only way to make certain that he won't be arrested AGAIN for beating you is to not give him the opportunity. Seriously, get out now.

If you give us what he's charged with, maybe Carl or one of the other seniors can tell you the min-max punishments. Hopefully, it will be time enough for you to get away and start over.

Good luck.

CdwJava

How long can he spend in there if i didn't press charges and it was his first offense?
You do not "press charges," the state of Nevada does so through the prosecutor.

I also HAD to get a temporary protection order so i didn't get kicked out of my apartment but I have since dropped it.
If you have children, you may very well have sent up a flare that says you prefer the abuser over your kid(s).

Can the DA make me testify against him if I don't want too, and what can they do if I want to be a witness for him instead?
You can be "for" whomever you want. But, if you are issued a subpoena, you go to court and answer the questions put to you.

If you ignore the subpoena, or if you refuse to answer the questions honestly, you could find yourself arrested.

Just go to court and be truthful. Most states have batterer's programs that allow for some form of diversion or lesser offense on a first incident.

What are the chances that he will not get arrested and get anger management and alcohol abuse classes instead?
I am not familiar with Washoe County policies, so it is hard to say.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Do you have children?

If not, please do not have any with him. Because you will be bringing them into a dysfunctional relationship, which is something no kid needs to deal with.

If you do, and they are not his, please be aware that you are looking at their father(s) attempting to get custody for your placing them in harm's way. Because that IS what subjecting them to domestic violence is. Your children do not deserve this.

And if they ARE his? Bad choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">