• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21 and still trying to get away from abusive mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jones11

What is the name of your state? IL

Long story short, my childhood was severely mentally, emotionally, and in some cases physically abusive. My mother was a doctor who doesn't seem to know how to deal with people. About ten years ago she started on this "crusade against corrupt officials." I don't really remember the details because most of it was a fog to me.

She was arrested over 16 times that I know of. Each time she refused to leave, or got into an argument with a judge, or some other nonsense like that. Eventually it got worse and worse, and one judge threw her in jail for contempt. She assaulted a guard and was charged with a felony. I know this same thing happened three different times, and she has been charged with medicaid fraud. Her medical license was pulled. She uses my grandfather and his money to pay for everything she does, she does not work, and she has coerced my grandfather into giving up power of attorney to her.

Almost two years ago, I refused to lie for her in court and refused to be a part of her madness. I wanted to finish school and live a normal life for once. I was promptly thrown out of my home with only the clothes on my back. I was taken in by my friend's family and lived with them up until about five months ago. During that time all of my friends and myself received threats in emails and phone calls non-stop. I changed my number three times.

I had no money and my credit was ruined. My grandfather had promised to help me build my credit after high school and my mother had me buy everything. I was left with massive debit after they took everything away from me. I was terrified to go back and ran and hid until I found out that she had been convicted of one of the assaults on a corrections officer. She was in jail for about six months.

During that time, I got back in touch with my grandfather and with the help of my aunt, We set up 24 hour care for him. I forgot to mention that he has Parkinson's and can barely do anything for himself. I was finally able to see him and spend time with him. I think his time away from her, and exposure to the real world that I had awoken into, changed him. He wanted to help me and apologized for not being able to do anything when it all first happened. He has set up a college fund and I was finally able to go back to school.

My mother was let out on parole two months ago, and I have not seen my grandfather since. He and I talk on the phone every so often, but all he says is that she is ranting and raving about me. He wants me to sign this affidavit that she needs from me to get her off his back. Basically, if I don't sign this thing, I will be cut off again. I reported my mother to the department of aging and they are going out to investigate this week. She has been threatening to "track me down" no matter what. I am Terrified.

I am at a total loss as to how to file an order of protection or get through all this. Sorry the "long story short" thing didn't work out too well.... Its so complicated. I need some sort of help or advice please. I can't even get a student loan without a cosigner because my credit was so ruined by my mother.

Thank you to anyone who responds. God bless.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I know that you care about your grandfather, but maybe the safest thing for you to do is to completely step back from this whole thing. (Other than to get elderly welfare people involved.)

Yes, I know that you may not be able to finish school, or you may only be able to go part time while working full time, but that may be the best way to protect yourself. However I would NOT sign anything.

Idori

Do not sign an affidavit for your mother. Do stay away from her. Your grandfather can confide in the elder care people when they show up. It was good of you to call them. He wants her off his back? He has other ways of doing that besides roping you in further or trading your safety from her away. There is a serious lack of boundaries and he can tell her no just as well as you can.

Your credit report may show a trail of her misuse and you can get a copy and report every instance as fraud/theft. Get the authorities involved. Dispute what is not legitimately yours and put the reporting agencies on alert that your info has been used by someone else. It will take time to clean up but can be done. You can also file for replacement social security number etc. The work it takes to do those things will be worth it to establish yourself separately from her and your grandfather as well.

You may lose his financial support for your education but if he is expecting you to rescue him from your mother the truth is -you can't. He can tell her 'no' and turn to your aunt for additional help.

You need to take the necessary steps to clean up your credit and get on your feet with a job or two. That sounds harder than going through school with his financial support but if the price of his support is continued involvement with your toxic mother, then his price is too high.

aliceyalice

cut your losses and run away from this dysfunctional three ring circus. don't worry about gramps, he'll get out, too, if he really wants to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">